lilyann’s Journal: Congo Riverine Biotope Build

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Ive decided that, because I have an empty 30 gallon sitting around that I had set up to breed discus ( something Im not much into doing right now), I will do a mini representation of the 75 gallon tank in this tank. It looks like it is going to take awhile to convince the other person I live with that I need a 75 gallon tank.
In the end--- my powers of persuasion will win. :)
But, until then. I will use the 30 gallon as inspiration.

Speaking of inspiration, remember that this article was what I wanted to duplicate:
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-set-up-an-african-biotope-aquarium

Wood: Sumatran Driftwood
Rock: Petrified Wood
Substrate: Senegal Sand- I looked for this, but the only vendor appears to be a UK-based company -Unipac. Not in the states. Ill need to look for an alternative.
Plants: Criniums, Bolbitus, Nymphaea sp.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
So, instead of studying like I should be doing, Ive been doing research for this tank. :/

I decided, instead of looking at an area in Africa and then looking for fish and fauna for this specific area, I would start with a fish and go outward. This has proven to be much easier.

Just got a group of beautiful alestopetersius brichardi "Red" from Wetspot a few days ago.
They are still settling into quarantine, but eating robustly.
Have proactively treated them with a three day dose of Praziquantel and will be dosing with flubendazole in a couple days. Besides that, will just observe, but dont see any likely problems as are very healthy for wilds from Africa.

These are central African and only found in Lake Mai-Ndombe in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Map: https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Lake_Mai-Ndombe

Eco-region Information: http://www.feow.org/ecoregions/details/mai_ndombe

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Stunning looking fish. I don't know much about the fish or lake, but reading the links you provided sounds like your after a Blackwater swamp/ flooded forest sort of setup. I think there's a few options to make a stunning scape.

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, It does look like it will need to be blackwater. Another fish that hails from this lake
is nanochromis transvestiutus
. A beautiful small cichlid. I may put a pair of these in as well- if I can find them.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Yes, It does look like it will need to be blackwater. Another fish that hails from this lake
is nanochromis transvestiutus
. A beautiful small cichlid. I may put a pair of these in as well- if I can find them.

I love the look of that species. Always wanted some but never have.
This will be a tank to get jealous about I think.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
The tank is pretty simple in design. Just set it up yesterday and have more plants to locate still (criniums).
I ended up moving the alestopetersius brichardii to the 180 gallon- they were much too active for a 30 gallon tank. Will need to find a smaller African species. So, just moved some of my Lemon tetras over to this tank to keep it cycled until find another group of fish African Congo tetras that are properly sized/activity level for a 30 gallon.
I will get some pictures tonight. But, really, its pretty basic.

Substrate: Caribsea Sand
Wood African Hornwood
Plants :
Anubias nana petite
Anubias nana
Nymphae sp.
Echinodorus "Aflame" ( South African sp. )

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Here is a short video of my tank so far- like I said, it is still "in process"
Still in search of some Criniums.
Any and all ideas of decor very, very welcome.
The lemon tetras are in here just keeping it cycled until get another variety of African tetra.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store