Little earthquake, little leak.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The leak has slowed by about 1/2, , and since the tank is outside on the patio, the water won't cause any damage.
I can't quite recall the brand as its been a while but you can try getting silicone that dries immediately under water. It is used for boats, ponds and swimming pools and it is actually aquarium safe. I've used it in the past to temporary hold a tank. It's especially useful if you get a piece of glass to stick on top of the leaking area. It is also very strong so it will hold on its own as well.

We live in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. When the next big one goes off, I don't expect my house or fish tank to survive. We'll be lucky to survive with our lives. If I happen to be in our little town when Cascadia goes off, I will need to get to higher ground before the tsunami wipes out the town.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
I actually just spent some time reading about it. Scary stuff and if the predictions are anywhere close, it will be a tough task to escape it as there'll be no warning. It will be a devastating event...which is actually overdue according to calculations..

Reactions: Matteus

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I can't quite recall the brand as its been a while but you can try getting silicone that dries immediately under water. It is used for boats, ponds and swimming pools and it is actually aquarium safe. I've used it in the past to temporary hold a tank. It's especially useful if you get a piece of glass to stick on top of the leaking area. It is also very strong so it will hold on its own as well.

I actually just spent some time reading about it. Scary stuff and if the predictions are anywhere close, it will be a tough task to escape it as there'll be no warning. It will be a devastating event...which is actually overdue according to calculations..
I live in So. Cal so welcome to the party. I lost a great 100gal tank during the Northridge earthquake.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Islandguy11
What island are you on?
As the afternoon wore on, and more drinks were poured, death by tsunami, or falling into an abyss became the popular topic. The Dutch couple live up on the hill, and I only 50 yards from the beach, so I gave them my Email list, noting I will probably be one of the fist to go.
Phuket, Thailand. Was here during the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami -- we were living about a half mile from the beach but fortunately about 2 months before the Tsunami hit we moved to a house about 2 km away. The old house got hit by waves nearly up to the ceiling, pretty scary.

Does Panama/nearby islands have a tsunami detection and warning system? (we didn't previously but they installed one afterwards, not sure how well-maintained and effective it is though). At least being only 50 yards from the beach and if it happened during daylight you could hopefully notice if the water receded indicating an approaching tsunami.

• Wow

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
We usually hear about things like tsunamis in Taboga a few days after the fact.
The tides here are normally vary in height about 20ft , so when the sea pulls out a city block at low tide, no one bats an eye.
Over night lat night the sump of the tank only dropped 1/2 inch, so the pipe dream is the tank may autocorrect somewhat, at least until the next shaker comes along.
Just in case, the search begins again, for another tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sorry to see that after all that work to get it on your island. Sounds like hopefully it will be fix-able, since it isn't a super fast leak. Guess that's the price you pay to live in paradise!

Reactions: Fat Homer
Hurricanes are the problem here. I completely forgot about a 20 gallon tank I had on my front porch. We went to chicago to get away from Irma (the people who sat it out said it was absolute hell afterwards) and when we came back to tank was gone. No broken glass no nothing...just gone. To this day I still don't know if people took it or if it's on the bottom of the ocean somewhere.

• Wow

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh

I think the product is called orca. It can seal up aquarium leaks while it is happening but you often need to pile it on so it can be a bit unsightly.

Not sure if you would be able to find that product specifically on the island but maybe there is a boat store or shop around that could have something that could do a little patchwork. That is if the self fix method doesn’t come through for you lol.

Also another tank is never a bad idea imo

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; For the last few months there have been low scale earthquakes in my area. Most only known about because of the instruments getting a reading. A few shook just enough for folks to be aware but not causing damage so far. Not sure if this is actually unusual or just reported better now, but do think the frequency must be high lately.
I guess if there was a perfect spot somewhere it would be too crowded with people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store