Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

newworldcichness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2016
If you just got the fish give it some time. once it fattens and grows and you can fast to increase hunger it will try more stuff.
yea he was straight out the nursery no human contact he just sat in a corner for 2 weeks i just ordered 1500 feeders hes growing pretty fast well see what happens every fish is different

Mod Thanatus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2016
Indiana, USA
Great read! Profiled!

I do agree with some other users however. My payara will only eat things swimming around in fear. Absolutely no chance of him eating pellets of any kind.

He'll eat frozen meat's... But its a bite now ask later approach.

Scoobs55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
I had no problem feeding feeders for 6 months to my pbass. He recently passed and after water tests etc I'm 99% sure it was a feeder that did him in. I tried to give him a balanced diet but he rarely accepted anything else. I'm still coming to terms with my little beast not being there. I took his lost much harder then I ever could of imagined. I miss my little pbass so much..

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Yes just purchased a golden kelbie peacock bass will not touch anything unless its a live fish ive tried everything live and dead
Great read! Profiled!

I do agree with some other users however. My payara will only eat things swimming around in fear. Absolutely no chance of him eating pellets of any kind.

He'll eat frozen meat's... But its a bite now ask later approach.
As previously stated, ...Gut Load your live feeders to provide your preds with a broader range of nutrients.

Little Darlyn

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2016
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
I'm a firm believer that a fish should be feed it's natural in the wild food source. It's nature's way. I feed my puffers live fiddler crabs and live grass shrimp every day. They love and beg for them. It also keeps me from having to trim their teeth. I feed my seahorses the live small grass shrimp. They love the hunt. It keeps their tank cleaner and makes the fry healthier and easier to raise. Though they will eat frozen they prefer the live. I am a firm believer in keeping it not only live but also their natural food source. I have seen the difference. Great article. Thank you.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If one taken all the caution with their live feeders stock and gut loaded them, their wet pet predator a lot more active and have healthy slender body look rather than a big fat overweight wet pet due to over loaded nutrition the owner packed in each meals.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

davao

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
While it's interesting to watch fish hunting down their preys, It's still like play Russian Roulette. You will never know what parasites they consume along with the live food. The good balanced pellets is alway preferable. It is not worth the risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store