Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
While it's interesting to watch fish hunting down their preys, It's still like play Russian Roulette. You will never know what parasites they consume along with the live food. The good balanced pellets is alway preferable. It is not worth the risk.
If u raise your own feeders,feed a balanced diet(with no goldfish) then u have almost no reason not to feed feeders.

Alistair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
India
I have a 24 " x 12" w x 15" h spare tank. What fish would be the best to get feeders for my cichlids going? I was thinking guppies, rams or convicts.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
Anyone tried breeding tilapia as feeder fish? I'm going to try in a month or so. Before that, would really love to gain some more insight.

Is it a good feeder fish? I plan to use it as a staple for the entire life of my African tiger fish.

Right now they are on guppies and ghost shrimp diet.

ekkhoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2014
malaysia
And one more thing, I've bought a bunch of feeder guppies from lfs.

Currently quarantine them for at least one week before feeding to my ATF, however each day there's around 20-30 guppies dead. Should I throw away all of them(Dead and Alive)? Or I just continue doing partial water changes and get rid of the dead guppies until no more guppies dying?

Nega Ginger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2019
California
So I have two 8-9" bichirs, a 12" silver Arowana and a 6" lemon Oscar in a 125 gallon tank that I feed live minnows, Guppies and mosquitofish . Is it normal for them to go through 100 feeders in one night? Seems excessive and I have no idea how they can process all of that in one night. It's like they can poop on command. Should I limit the amount I put in the tank at a time to something like 25?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So I have two 8-9" bichirs, a 12" silver Arowana and a 6" lemon Oscar in a 125 gallon tank that I feed live minnows, Guppies and mosquitofish . Is it normal for them to go through 100 feeders in one night? Seems excessive and I have no idea how they can process all of that in one night. It's like they can poop on command. Should I limit the amount I put in the tank at a time to something like 25?
Not to bad, would add insects to their diet tho, since the oscar and silver aro are more insectivorous (bug eaters) then piscavorous
(Fish eaters)

WalksWIthGobies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
ames,iowa
I will never feed fish other fish again. My beloved Jade Goby (see my profile pic) caught red mouth disease off of feeder minnows and died.

[I see this is an old thread, that's fine my response stands]

Reactions: Tony A.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store