Local Fish Store Best Lies

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Weird how people don't understand the feeder fish concept all the time I see people buy them along with a FISH BOWL !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I hate this mentality... have you ever seen a grown, mature comet goldfish? They are way cooler than the stupid goggle eyed, inbred, barely can swim "fancy" goldfish. And they cost 9 cents. I don't see a problem.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I hate this mentality... have you ever seen a grown, mature comet goldfish? They are way cooler than the stupid goggle eyed, inbred, barely can swim "fancy" goldfish. And they cost 9 cents. I don't see a problem.
When I was 8 yrs old, I won two feeder goldfish at a local carnival (throwing a ping pong ball into a bowl). They were named Silver and Goldie and went from a bowl, to a 20 gallon and finally a 60 gallon where they lived to be 12 years old and around 9-10 inches long. I never thought that my longest living fish will have been goldfish.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
yeah, i kept the two that used to cycle my tank (got a couple videos on them in my sig) and they're pretty big now with huge fancy fins. Definitely cool pets as about any other fish.

Elitism bugs me, especially in fish keeping. Whatever fish you keep and think its cool, there are people in the parts of the world where they come from who think westerners are silly for keeping what they eat for dinner as pets.

What do you think about that for a feeder concept?

Heck, I have kept plenty of cool reptiles and used to raise rats and mice for them.. now today I think the rats and mice actually make the better pets. By a far degree actually. They're as smart as dogs, really.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Mice and rats are definitely smarter than snakes and other reptiles. Kinda weird when the meal is smarter than the mouth it's feeding.

mahsfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I once was buying some male endlers from my lfs. On the tag it said they were livebearers which they are. And some other stuff.

The lady helping me for some reason, decided to start talking to me about the endlers and had continued on talking about how endlers are part of the tetra family.

I didn't feel like correcting her, so I assume she still thinks this way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
No to mention that some of the Cherax species can reach nearly a foot. They are actually commonly named freshwater lobsters. Unfortunately, the more common Clarkii and Alleni species have been mistakenly called the same as the average fish store persos/shipper can't tell the difference.
I sometimes wonder if those species get called lobster do to claw size and shape compared to a lot of crays thier claws are massive especially the alleni. I had a female whos claws were about 3/4 inch across when she was full size and a male with claws more than two inches long.

where as marble crays ect have weee little claws.

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
  1. fish only get as big as their tanks
  2. adult black arowanas are simply silver arowanas with blue dyed fins
  3. it's unhealthy to do >50% WC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store