Logging the pond and it's inhabitants

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Lol your German Shepherd giving them a woofy welcome into the pond at :30 -- what is he doing, laying out the estate rules? :)
LoL
Yeah, for some reason he doesn't like em at all. Always barks at them, he even used to bark at my previous fish.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
It's nice to see fish having so much space. They behave very naturally. I bet they never try to jump out :)

Can you show a footage of the bottom fish?

Any more pictures of the plant/filter setup?

Too many demands, lol :naughty:

Reactions: islandguy11

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
It's nice to see fish having so much space. They behave very naturally. I bet they never try to jump out :)

Can you show a footage of the bottom fish?

Any more pictures of the plant/filter setup?

Too many demands, lol :naughty:
They are still small, the biggest must be 18" or so, haven't had any losses yet, but I see them jump during feeding times to avoid each other protecting their food.

Bottom fish are some dawkinsia, some tin foil barb, a lone silver dollar, 4 semaprochilodus taeniurus and 4 semaprochilodus insignis. Next weekend shall try to catch the other fish on video.

I did try finding a detailed video of the pond filter, couldn't find it, it's a simple shower filter, with two tanks stacked one above the other, and both tanks have marginal plants to take out any nitrates and nitrites..

The top filter tank has smaller plant, hydrocotyl verticillata. The bottom tank has taller growing plants, colocasia and heliconias.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
As a side note I'll bet that Flagtail is going to get really big living in such a large home, I'm also interested to watch him/her grow out.
Me too.
One of the reasons why I added this one to the pond, also got a few more s. Taeniurus and also another 4 s. Insignis to the pond.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well we have had the first calamity. The smallest silver arowana was pretty badly injured, although I did notice this in the morning and moved it to a hospital tank, after two days it passed away.

This loss I attribute to the reduced feeding I have done, rats have been raiding the insect cultures for the last one week, and my cultures have depleted pretty drastically.

I got my friend to replenish my super worm culture, and have also taken steps to make the rats short lived lives miserable by building metal racks with doors so that they wouldn't get access to the cultures and have also laid traps for them.

Now that feeding has resumed to its earlier volume, there are less injuries.

• Wow
Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well we have had the first calamity. The smallest silver arowana was pretty badly injured, although I did notice this in the morning and moved it to a hospital tank, after two days it passed away.

This loss I attribute to the reduced feeding I have done, rats have been raiding the insect cultures for the last one week, and my cultures have depleted pretty drastically.

I got my friend to replenish my super worm culture, and have also taken steps to make the rats short lived lives miserable by building metal racks with doors so that they wouldn't get access to the cultures and have also laid traps for them.

Now that feeding has resumed to its earlier volume, there are less injuries.
Sorry to hear that Jibran -- besides feeding issues I can only imagine that one of the challenges of keeping a larger pond like yours, is that it's harder to actually see/monitor the status of each and every fish on a daily basis.

Darn rats! Tell your dog to get to work or you'll get a cat :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store