Logging the pond and it's inhabitants

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
wow beautiful... How much water do you change weekly?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Cool video, great to see them hungry and active. Btw how big would you estimate your Flagtail currently is? I'll bet he's going to get huge in that pond.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
wow beautiful... How much water do you change weekly?
There's no water changes on this bad boy, only top ups, and then there's filter maintenance once in 3 years.

I run an aquaponics filter system, and whenever I feel the water is getting bad, I just give the plants a heavy trim, and the filter gets a boost.

Last edited:

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Cool video, great to see them hungry and active. Btw how big would you estimate your Flagtail currently is? I'll bet he's going to get huge in that pond.
Thanks
Yeah, always hungry and jumpy to run away taking that worm, once in a while I have also seen them jump.

The flagtail must be 6-7", this is the second time I am keeping one, planning to add a group of them soon.
I hope he gets big, my previous fellow grew from 1.5" to 8" till the azuls he grew up with killed him.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
There's no water changes on this bad boy, only top ups, and then there's filter maintenance once in 3 years.

I run an aquaponics filter system, and whenever I feel the water is getting bad, I just give the plants a heavy trim, and the filter gets a boost.
I find this interesting. What kind of filtration is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

I am always curious how people do filtration in different parts of the world. Would love to learn new ways of filtering large ponds and whatnot. Maybe do you have a thread about it, or would you be interested in doing one?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I find this interesting. What kind of filtration is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

I am always curious how people do filtration in different parts of the world. Would love to learn new ways of filtering large ponds and whatnot. Maybe do you have a thread about it, or would you be interested in doing one?
I will try and take a small video of the filter. But to put it in words it's kinda like a top filter, with two steps.

A smaller chamber on top that's a right triangle, with 3' hypotenuse side, and height of the tank being 24". The bottom chamber is also a right triangle with 5' as hypotenuse, and the tank is 33" tall.

They are all filled with 5-8mm pebbles and 10mm aquaclay pellets. For filter media.

And then there are marginal plants added to the filter.

Here's a small pic of the filter, when the plants are in full growth mode.

The pump is plumbed such that there's enough circulation of water in the pond.

Will try to find a video of the filter before I set it up and running

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Oh, I am so jealous of your plants. Savage growth :grinyes:

They are all filled with 5-8mm pebbles and 10mm aquaclay pellets. For filter media.
I've got pretty much the exact same setup only on a smaller scale in my mini 240G indoor pond. I can't recommend that sort of "natural filtration" enough, although mine is an addition to normal filtration plus water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store