Long fin Musky

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
… 2 many people think its “cool” now so they exploit it $$ ??‍♂… there doing some crazy things with UV flashing/treatment to pretty much “bleach” fish in the egg stage. No bueno… man made junk is not a unique natural occurrence to admire. Cough cough “phantom” redtail ?
See, that's the problem with learning new stuff in threads like this; I learn too many things of a disturbing nature! Had no idea stuff like that was being done. :(

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Are you trying to say what I think you're trying to say? ;)
I said it haha ??… bound to “get out” eventually i suppose. Theres more species “coming out” lately.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
See, that's the problem with learning new stuff in threads like this; I learn too many things of a disturbing nature! Had no idea stuff like that was being done. :(
I was pretty disappointed when i found out also. All for natural “rareities” … its interesting how they pop up and survive in the wild and what not. This, im not a fan of.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting angle. I was wondering where in the world the phantom RTC come from. Where have you learned this info that the phantom RTC are bleached with UV at the egg stage and can it be trusted?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Interesting angle. I was wondering where in the world the phantom RTC come from. Where have you learned this info that the phantom RTC are bleached with UV at the egg stage and can it be trusted?
Don’t want to directly call the source out… 1st hand experience tho of purchasing expensive Color morphs then learning they wernt “real”. Def. A trust worthy source. The evidence is there to back it up also. Wes himself posted pictures of “translucent” tigrinus cats and piranha being offered by his suppliers. He turned them down… another good example is the oddly patterened gator gar OFR has… just a science expirment, not genetic abnormalities. They pop up all over FB and other social media in too many numbers not to be man made like that. Its not surprising with the amt of man made breeding over seas. They were bound to find a new way to exploit trends for extra cash lol

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If this is true, and it sounds like it likely is, I believe this should be made better known, so we as a community of hobbyists do not become complacent in animal cruelty... or if some of us do, they should go into it with knowledge and not ignorance.

Reactions: wednesday13 and RD.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If this is true, and it sounds like it likely is, I believe this should be made better known, so we as a community of hobbyists do not become complacent in animal cruelty... or if some of us do, they should go into it with knowledge and not ignorance.
Took me a while to “put it out there”… typed it up a few times over the past year and changed my mind. Don’t wanna be a “narq” myself ??… i do support the “monster” side of this hobby and know what little it takes to help bring it down in a negative way. I try to be an honest person and i just don’t like people getting ripped off. Thats what really gets me about this topic. Ive been there… ive forgone bills even to get my hands on certain “rare” fish when they become available and its disappointing to know we really cant tell anymore “what is real”… for color morphs anyway. Nothing new, i guess this one hits me hard being a color morph/genetic mutation enthusiast.

As for “animal cruelty”… those words really work against what we enjoy to do here lol… anything can be painted in a bad light. I guess the “monster” part of the hobby finally got hit with “glo fish” ?… i give the breeders and fish farms some credit, its actually pretty interesting/smart. Don’t like good people being the butt of a joke tho.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you brother. I am amazed by your being so considerate. Kudos for you, my Antithesis!

You are right, I need to consider my words better. I haven't before I cried the big bad animal cruelty in the prior post. But now that you have made me think about it better, I'd say "animal and man cruelty" haha...

Seriously though, yes, agreed, let's not conflate two different issues - the unethical treatment of animals and the legal but deceiving treatment of the human collectors and lovers of color and colorless morphs that occur naturally... and the abuse of peers who don't know better.

I'd think a carefully worded post on the General Aquaria forum may be a good idea. I'm with you 100% though - it is so easy to cast a shadow on anything! So many peers think of us, MFKers, as unethical. And like you I don't wanna be a basher, a nay sayer, a discourager, a fish policeman, a cruelty policeman, a moral authority lecturer on horseback, etc. With that in mind, it still may be a worthy challenge to write up an informational / awareness post.

... I guess the “monster” part of the hobby finally got hit with “glo fish” ?…
Hahahaha... A matter of time. Money motivates everything. Constrained by morality, it becomes progress. Unconstrained it becomes its opposite, the regress, the evil.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store