Looking for a fish

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
I was hoping to be able to get a black wolf fish with other fish well. From what I have heard this probably won't work so I was thinking either a shortnose gar with a couple odoe pikes if they would work together and a cat or two. Or a jardini arowana with a couple odoe pikes red tail cudas and a cat or two if the shortnose gar doesn't work with the pikes. Any suggestions?
The gar will work in any non aggressive fish, they are huge wimps who get bullied easily by rambunctious fish. any non aggressive fish too big for him to eat will be fine and too big to eat is probably smaller then you think, an 18in gar most likely wont go after anything bigger then 5inch as long as he is regularly fed.

Reactions: J. H.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
I was hoping to be able to get a black wolf fish with other fish well. From what I have heard this probably won't work so I was thinking either a shortnose gar with a couple odoe pikes if they would work together and a cat or two. Or a jardini arowana with a couple odoe pikes red tail cudas and a cat or two if the shortnose gar doesn't work with the pikes. Any suggestions?
the pike are similiar to gar in temperament but they would constantly be freaking each-other out, either the gar or the pike would work with a few laid back catfish. the jardini wont work with anything but a large catfish (which you dont really have room for). the a few red tailed barracudas with a few odoe pike should work, they should bring out some confidence in the pike since they are similar sized similar temperament fish.

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
a school of 4-5 tinfoil barbs could work well if the gar has cover to hide from them. they may be a bit too active for the gar though. dont wont to end up with broke back gar. That part kinda depends on the individual gar, some will get confidence when put with confident fish, others are intimidated by them, depends on whether you get an alpha or a beta gar, which will be sheer luck.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
the pike are similiar to gar in temperament but they would constantly be freaking each-other out, either the gar or the pike would work with a few laid back catfish. the jardini wont work with anything but a large catfish (which you dont really have room for). the a few red tailed barracudas with a few odoe pike should work, they should bring out some confidence in the pike since they are similar sized similar temperament fish.
I don't know about pike, but pickerel can be pretty mean, although not as mean as bass or sunfish. I think pike and pickerel like to hover together in pairs or small groups in the wild, but I have only ever really seen pickerel.

Mr. Cactus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
a school of 4-5 tinfoil barbs could work well if the gar has cover to hide from them. they may be a bit too active for the gar though. dont wont to end up with broke back gar. That part kinda depends on the individual gar, some will get confidence when put with confident fish, others are intimidated by them, depends on whether you get an alpha or a beta gar, which will be sheer luck.
Any other fish that would recommend to go with the gar?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Any other fish that would recommend to go with the gar?
Clown knife, pollies, bullhead cat, Severum, Mahseer, whiptail, dats, GG, Bass, pbass, spiny eel, peacok eel, walking catfish, plecos, anything big and not mean or jumpy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store