Looking to setup a 500+ gallon freshwater sump tank

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks man - did you decide to pull the trigger on the glasscages tank? How much $$ was the AGE tank? What kind of sump/filter did you decide on?
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet bc I’m still trying to decide. The plumbing and filtration is what I’m researching, but that also effects the tank so I’m taking my time with it. I don’t have it in front of me, but I believe the AGE quote was almost double. However it’s not an exact comparison. (Not exact deminsions , design or glass)

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
Wow @ double the price... it’s been since 2011 that Ive order from AGE - sounds like they’ve gone up in price a lot.

Where are you leaning related to filtration? Sump with mech & bio media? Sump + CL Ultima 2000? Hopefully the community here can aid in helping you make the best decision - I know it can be overwhelming with all the options esp with a tank the size you are looking to setup...

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Thanks man - did you decide to pull the trigger on the glasscages tank? How much $$ was the AGE tank? What kind of sump/filter did you decide on?
I haven’t pulled the trigger yet bc I’m still trying to decide. The plumbing and filtration is what I’m researching, but that also effects the tank so I’m taking my time with it. I don’t have it in front of me, but I believe the AGE quote was almost double. However it’s not an exact comparison. (Not exact deminsions , design or glass)

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018

Wow @ double the price... it’s been since 2011 that Ive order from AGE - sounds like they’ve gone up in price a lot.

Where are you leaning related to filtration? Sump with mech & bio media? Sump + CL Ultima 2000? Hopefully the community here can aid in helping you make the best decision - I know it can be overwhelming with all the options esp with a tank the size you are looking to setup...

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I know I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have decided to resurrect this thread. This project is still in the works, but I had some personal issues that put this all on hold. I am still planning to set this tank up, but it will still be some time before everything is finalized. One issue I had not thought much about, but probably should have, is getting the aquarium into my home. For a tank of this size, getting it through a doorway could be a challenge. One of the quotes I was given was for an aquarium dimension of 9ft x 37.5in x 36in. This is wider then most doorways. Does anyone have any experience moving large aquariums? Even if I hire professional help, I'm trying to figure out how it is even possible to get an aquarium of this size into my home. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I know I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have decided to resurrect this thread. This project is still in the works, but I had some personal issues that put this all on hold. I am still planning to set this tank up, but it will still be some time before everything is finalized. One issue I had not thought much about, but probably should have, is getting the aquarium into my home. For a tank of this size, getting it through a doorway could be a challenge. One of the quotes I was given was for an aquarium dimension of 9ft x 37.5in x 36in. This is wider then most doorways. Does anyone have any experience moving large aquariums? Even if I hire professional help, I'm trying to figure out how it is even possible to get an aquarium of this size into my home. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.
You have a sliding glass door somewhere? If you remove the door panel you should be able to fit the 36" tank through. If your front door is oversized you may be able to remove that as well and squeeze through. Other than that if its normal sized doorways you're trying to get through youre gonna have some trouble. Temporary demolition and subsequent repairs to the doorway may be the only way.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
You have a sliding glass door somewhere? If you remove the door panel you should be able to fit the 36" tank through. If your front door is oversized you may be able to remove that as well and squeeze through. Other than that if its normal sized doorways you're trying to get through youre gonna have some trouble. Temporary demolition and subsequent repairs to the doorway may be the only way.
unfortunately, I don't have a sliding glass door, just standard entryway doors.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
unfortunately, I don't have a sliding glass door, just standard entryway doors.
Measure the doorways it will have to come through. Standard is 30" which requires a 32" rough opening to install. So this means if you remove the door and frame you could just barely squeeze a 32" tank through. So youre looking for a bare minimum 34" doorway to make it without extensive renovation.

How about double or bay windows? Often they can be removed and put hack without too much effort.

Other than that i might suggest making your tank a little shorter? 108x37.5x30 is just as nice and probably a little cheaper too.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store