Looking to setup a 500+ gallon freshwater sump tank

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I feel for you man. My 300g fibreglass tank was delivered yesterday. I'm still stressed out 24 hrs later! Man, it was hard work getting it where I wanted it. Doors had to come off, I had to dismantle the breakfast bar in the kitchen, I tried it one way, then another, it looked like it wasn't happening at one point. I measured it and it was slightly BIGGER than what the original spec was, no wonder I struggled like hell. Bonus was it was paper light compared to what your glass tank will weigh.

Get plenty of guys (and plenty of beer :grinyes:), and a toolbox ready for some decor changes!! Good luck.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
its a standard 30" doorway. no bay windows i'm afraid....Yes, I could modify the depth to 30” and a 108x36x30 is still about 500 gallons. The original design would be about 600 gallons. The reason for the 37.5” original depth was because of the way they cut their glass. Using standard sheets made it more cost effective to build.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Tbh. After moving a 300g tank for friends. I have personally decided anything over that size, I would always want to be built in place. I was told this when I first started looking into 500g+ tanks and didn’t get it.

Now after experiencing the 300 move I get it. We barely made it through a few of the doorways. It is typically hard to have 2 medium sized guys go through a doorway while carrying a big tank. With that size of tank, I wouldn’t (personally) even consider moving it with out dismantling it before hand.

Build in place is the best option imo

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I see. That does limit my options though and I assume that is going to make the price go up. For this particular move, it only has to go through 1 doorway, my front door. I have a large formal dining kitchen area to the right from there, and the plan is to place it against that wall. That is currently where my 125 gal. is. Will this make a difference in your opinion?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In one respect you are lucky because once you get it through your front door you have ample space to move it in your formal kitchen area to its final resting place. However, your dimensions of 37.5"x36", given that a standard door is less than this, even if you take the front door off you are not going to get that tank through that door, unless you want to get very creative with a big hammer!

Given that you haven't had the tank made yet you have two options. Get it built in situ as matteus suggested, and pay through the nose, or alter one of your 37.5" or 36" (height or depth) measurements to a figure that will fit through the door (leave yourself a few mm's either side to be sure).

Reactions: Matteus

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
In one respect you are lucky because once you get it through your front door you have ample space to move it in your formal kitchen area to its final resting place. However, your dimensions of 37.5"x36", given that a standard door is less than this, even if you take the front door off you are not going to get that tank through that door, unless you want to get very creative with a big hammer!

Given that you haven't had the tank made yet you have two options. Get it built in situ as matteus suggested, and pay through the nose, or alter one of your 37.5" or 36" (height or depth) measurements to a figure that will fit through the door (leave yourself a few mm's either side to be sure).
Yeah, I think it makes the most sense to go with a 30 inch depth. It will fit through my front door that way.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Yeah, I think it makes the most sense to go with a 30 inch depth. It will fit through my front door that way.
By depth do you mean width of tank or height?

Personally, i would cut the height down as 30" is still an impressive height, and a 108x36 footprint gives you much better space for popular monster fish (arowanas) vs. The 30" width. It will literally make everything about the aquarium easier, from cleaning the glass to less pressure on your pump. And you can make your stand 6" higher than you had planned which gives you more room under the tank. Just my opinion though.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
By depth do you mean width of tank or height?

Personally, i would cut the height down as 30" is still an impressive height, and a 108x36 footprint gives you much better space for popular monster fish (arowanas) vs. The 30" width. It will literally make everything about the aquarium easier, from cleaning the glass to less pressure on your pump. And you can make your stand 6" higher than you had planned which gives you more room under the tank. Just my opinion though.
I suppose my comment was a little confusing. By depth, I meant front to back, not height. I see what you mean. A lower height (30 vs 36), would still allow it to get through the front door. That is something to consider.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I suppose my comment was a little confusing. By depth, I meant front to back, not height. I see what you mean. A lower height (30 vs 36), would still allow it to get through the front door. That is something to consider.
Oh ok so youre workin with a 37.5" width (some say width some say depth i wasnt trying to correct you or anything). Thats excellent! And assuming youre trying to get the most out of your panels like you said before, and the space is large enough, you could even go wider if you wanted. Something like 108x43x30h? That would be one hell of a tank and still fit through the doorway.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Oh ok so youre workin with a 37.5" width (some say width some say depth i wasnt trying to correct you or anything). Thats excellent! And assuming youre trying to get the most out of your panels like you said before, and the space is large enough, you could even go wider if you wanted. Something like 108x43x30h? That would be one hell of a tank and still fit through the doorway.
I agree. If you keep it 30” high you can flip it on its side. (Much easier said than done, but doable). My tank is only 24” high and it is a pita to try and grab something from the bottom with out grabber tongs.

The footprint is really where you want your area to come from rather than the height. This is exciting. I’m super stoked for you, and can’t wait to see pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store