Looking to setup a 500+ gallon freshwater sump tank

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oh ok so youre workin with a 37.5" width (some say width some say depth i wasnt trying to correct you or anything). Thats excellent! And assuming youre trying to get the most out of your panels like you said before, and the space is large enough, you could even go wider if you wanted. Something like 108x43x30h? That would be one hell of a tank and still fit through the doorway.
Good thoughts. One of the reasons I was really going for more height on the aquarium is because my current tank only has a height of 17”. Some of the decor actually gets in the way and doesn’t allow as much room for my ballas to swim. I would also like a little separation from my bottom feeders, but I need the deco to allow my loaches a place to hide. However, I do think you are right in that having an overall larger footprint and lower height is the best way to go.

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I had the same issue. Just keep the height of the tank under the width of the door way and flip it on its side when moving into the room.

Did you decide on a plumbing method ? Considering the tank is in your living area i would look into dual herbie drains or a bean animal. Full siphon drains are dead silent and the emergency drains will allow you to sleep well lol

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I had the same issue. Just keep the height of the tank under the width of the door way and flip it on its side when moving into the room.

Did you decide on a plumbing method ? Considering the tank is in your living area i would look into dual herbie drains or a bean animal. Full siphon drains are dead silent and the emergency drains will allow you to sleep well lol
I have been researching a lot on this topic. I have zero experience doing this so it has been pretty overwealming. I have heard arguments for everyone configuration you can imagine. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible, but definitely need it to be quiet. All of the plumbing will have to run under the stand to a sump. I’m making a 125g sump. I plan to custom build the stand to a 4 ft height to allow easier access for maintenance and also raise the height of the display tank for better viewing. If you have an opinion on the best plumbing option for this setup, please let me know.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have been researching a lot on this topic. I have zero experience doing this so it has been pretty overwealming. I have heard arguments for everyone configuration you can imagine. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible, but definitely need it to be quiet. All of the plumbing will have to run under the stand to a sump. I’m making a 125g sump. I plan to custom build the stand to a 4 ft height to allow easier access for maintenance and also raise the height of the display tank for better viewing. If you have an opinion on the best plumbing option for this setup, please let me know.
I felt the same way when i was planning my last sump. Its completely overwhelming but at the end of the day there is no best system. People will say that because what they chose works for them but in reality all that matters is you getting what you need out of it (silence and simplicity) and the end result being no ammonia/nitrate.

For me silence and as flood proof as possible were the main goals. Then simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Cant speak on bean animal since i have jo experience but im sure its just as efficient as herbie that said i would choose the herbie method over any gravity fed drain every time. Its silent. The e drains imo are the most import decision you will make. Id figure out the ball park where you want to be gph wise, size the e drains correctly the rest is easy peasy. The gate valves and dc pumps will allow you room for error.

I can send you a few vids that might help clear things up if your interested.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh btw if i were planning on setting up a tank your size i would go with dual overflows or a coast to coast. No experience with C2C DN328 DN328 can speak on them

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I agree with jaws7777. Plumbing a new tank in can be very overwhelming. Even more so if your display tank is in a living area where aesthetics and noise reduction are important because you have to go that extra mile to make sure it looks good and that it's quiet enough that you can hear your tele!

Thankfully in this modern age we're in we have forums such as this one and umpty million tutorials on you tube to guide us. You tube is a life saver for me at times.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Sorry for all the sporadic posts. I just remember how confused i was when i was in your shoes.

3 things enable the system to run silently. 1)Gate valve removes air from the line. 2)Stand pipe being submerged (6ish inches) in the overflow. 3)drain with in the sump being submerged (2 or 3 inches)

The sump itself can be as simple as filter socks for media, heaters, bags of bio and pumps. No need for baffles or compartments

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
I felt the same way when i was planning my last sump. Its completely overwhelming but at the end of the day there is no best system. People will say that because what they chose works for them but in reality all that matters is you getting what you need out of it (silence and simplicity) and the end result being no ammonia/nitrate.

For me silence and as flood proof as possible were the main goals. Then simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Cant speak on bean animal since i have jo experience but im sure its just as efficient as herbie that said i would choose the herbie method over any gravity fed drain every time. Its silent. The e drains imo are the most import decision you will make. Id figure out the ball park where you want to be gph wise, size the e drains correctly the rest is easy peasy. The gate valves and dc pumps will allow you room for error.

I can send you a few vids that might help clear things up if your interested.
Yes, if you have some vids, I’ll take a look. Thanks

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Sorry for all the sporadic posts. I just remember how confused i was when i was in your shoes.

3 things enable the system to run silently. 1)Gate valve removes air from the line. 2)Stand pipe being submerged (6ish inches) in the overflow. 3)drain with in the sump being submerged (2 or 3 inches)

The sump itself can be as simple as filter socks for media, heaters, bags of bio and pumps. No need for baffles or compartments
Why would you not use baffles or compartments?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store