M Lutea - Stress vs Internal Parasite

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Oops I just saw you haven't treated with PraziPro. I thought you did. So nematodes are not the only thing left. But I would still look at dewormers and suspect nematodes if the metro doesn't seem to help.

So it was the Hex Shield they weren't eating well?
And what about the medicated bloodworms, eating, not spitting? I watch the fish for a while to make sure they don't spit. I don't know how long you feed the Metro for, just make sure not to feed too long or use too much. I hope you see some improvement with them.
Have not used the prazi pro - is this a better course

I noticed the smallest holding food/or a turd in its mouth then spitting.

day 2 of Meteoplex - treated the tank -

they all are eating - some much fatter than others -

68ECCC36-3F68-4290-83FD-60245B984899.jpeg

D5A23867-BFE5-4EA8-B6EF-F92B3C62BFF6.jpeg

C402BFB3-E549-437E-9B22-B6A0D5529F7B.jpeg

846B907F-EB05-478B-82A2-A6DE8A2B804E.jpeg

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Yeah I don't like the thinness of a few of them. Sorry for the all the questions, but did you dose Metro in the tank or soak the food? I think as long as the fish takes it in its mouth it has a chance to get the Metro. Obviously dosing the water is better for fish that are not eating well, but unfortunately Metro isn't so water soluble or it is not active for very long. Keep up with Metro for the advised treatment and hopefully you will see some improvement.

If Metro doesn't help, i'd use a dewormer. That would be my personal second choice. Tbh I feed a dewormer (fenbendazole) to all my new fish in QT. But if you have fish that aren't eating well, it would be better to get Levamisole and dose the water.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Yeah I don't like the thinness of a few of them. Sorry for the all the questions, but did you dose Metro in the tank or soak the food? I think as long as the fish takes it in its mouth it has a chance to get the Metro. Obviously dosing the water is better for fish that are not eating well, but unfortunately Metro isn't so water soluble or it is not active for very long. Keep up with Metro for the advised treatment and hopefully you will see some improvement.

If Metro doesn't help, i'd use a dewormer. That would be my personal second choice. Tbh I feed a dewormer (fenbendazole) to all my new fish in QT. But if you have fish that aren't eating well, it would be better to get Levamisole and dose the water.
both ,

I dosed the 75g tank yesterday and will repeat tomorrow as per the instructions say every two days.

I put one scoop on their bloodworms with hex Shield pellets mixed in.

is it too much you think? Oral and topical?

should I discontinue the hex Shield pellets and Dose the water only?

Not Sure where this came from? Maybe previous tank inhabitants?

Thanks!

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
It's not necessary to feed Metro and dose water because it is absorbed thru the skin, but I honestly don't know if it's bad to do so. I would only feed the Hex Sheild though, like I wouldn't add a scoop to the bloodworms. I know it's not good to continue treatment for longer than recommended. So I'd finish the Metro treatment and observe.

If you don't feel you are seeing improvement in a couple weeks with clean water, i'd think about a dewormer. I have seen it being used as a prophylactic in QT, so if they've never been dewormed before......it wouldn't hurt imho.

How did it get there? I asked myself the same question when I found camallanus in my main tank! I'm pretty sure they were in the tank for 2 years before I even noticed a problem. I thought I was so careful....famous last words. Now i'm super uber careful!

Last edited:
Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Ya. The hex pellets said 3 days... think it’s been 5...

This action?

41A35EED-60A5-42DD-B0E2-4442FE1232D0.png

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I use Fish Bendazole dosed in the food for fish who are actively eating in QT, but since you have some who are not eating well, it might be best to search out Levamisole hcl and dose the water.

You only need 1 gram per 100 gallons or approx 1/4 tsp per 100 gallons for one treatment. It's suggested to do 2 at least.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
coming Thursday for cattle ?

Thanks!

14D33BD1-5597-4A45-914B-7391D165AA75.png

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
today will be the 6th day or 3 dose of metroplex every two days per their instructions.

this guy looks bad, expecting him to be dead...

however still plugging away! feeding hex, dosing hex pellets ... also feeding everything as i just want this little guy to eat.

water is Surprisingly good even though my heavy feeding...

got some de wormer and prazi to try next...

03E470F9-8641-4709-8700-1348DAC9FBD3.jpeg

DAE31E08-E374-4F7B-B21F-7C21EF07D57C.jpeg

0FDA1D46-D844-474C-A4AB-63C521CAB9A9.jpeg

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Sorry about the little guy :( I really hate to tell you, but you could end up losing the skinny ones. They are not growing properly. But there's still hope. The main thing is to deworm (or anti-Hex) the others so they don't suffer the same damage to organs and it stops. I can't even tell you if they do have worms, it just looks very reminiscent of my infestation. Since they've never been dewormed before, I feel it's good preventative measure at least fir the others. Hoping for the little guys though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store