Malaysian giant prawn with cichlids

SAVAGECHEF33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
I have a Malaysian giant prawn in with my Africans. He hadn't touched them yet . But he has started trying to hunt some of my dithers . I'm on the fence about taking his claws currently he is about 9ninches tail to claw.
And my cichlids range from 3 to inches

20190101_010212.jpg 20190101_010158.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Instead of taking his claws you could just rubber band them with a small rubber band and twisting it over itself a few times. Like they do with lobsters.

SAVAGECHEF33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Instead of taking his claws you could just rubber band them with a small rubber band and twisting it over itself a few times. Like they do with lobsters.
True but I'm I guess what i am really trying to see is the opinion on the difference between banding vs snipping

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Wow can those skinny little pincers cause any harm to the fish? You could just cut off the bottom half of each pair of pincers

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would agree with mr tlindsey tlindsey

Though it may only be a prawn, it is a cool looking creature, and still an animal that you've taken against it's will to live in a box in your house. Purposely ripping it's arms off to stop it from behavior that is only natural, seems like a "dick move" to me.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Though it may only be a prawn, it is a cool looking creature, and still an animal that you've taken against it's will to live in a box in your house. Purposely ripping it's arms off to stop it from behavior that is only natural, seems like a "dick move" to me.
All respect given I believe that as soon as an animal is taken into your care things that are “natural” more or less go out the window. Sure using its claws is natural but so is having predators. If you want to talk about natural then put a predator in there.
I see it as the prawn has no predator so we have taken the stress of having to watch out away so it’s acceptable to constrict it slightly.
“Taken against its will to live in a box at your house” Well it doesn’t have to fight to survive and has a normal feeding schedule, seems better than being in the wild having to fight everyday to survive.

It may not be a much liked opinion but it is mine and I stand by it.

I meant banding his claws, I’m not for ripping them off.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
All respect given I believe that as soon as an animal is taken into your care things that are “natural” more or less go out the window. Sure using its claws is natural but so is having predators. If you want to talk about natural then put a predator in there.
I see it as the prawn has no predator so we have taken the stress of having to watch out away so it’s acceptable to constrict it slightly.
“Taken against its will to live in a box at your house” Well it doesn’t have to fight to survive and has a normal feeding schedule, seems better than being in the wild having to fight everyday to survive.

It may not be a much liked opinion but it is mine and I stand by it.

I meant banding his claws, I’m not for ripping them off.
Not looking to get into the debate of whether it's moral to keep animals in a box; has been discussed many times on this board.

What i'm saying, is that the shrimp has those claws for the purpose of grabbing fish. That's what it does. If you don't want something that grabs fish, don't get a giant prawn. Don't buy a giant prawn and then purposely disable it, for doing what it's evolved to do. Responsible thing to do IMO, is buy creatures that are compatible with your setup.

Reactions: SBM and J. H.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you have mts then this would be a great time to get another tank... :devil:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store