Male young dovii killing female dovii

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Hmm, I have a few nice, hormone free, med free, city treated water free C. gibberosa "kapampa" I've had to separate out recently for males not getting along. Considered a delicacy in their home region and they're temporarily putting a pinch on a couple of my tanks...

Nah, might regret it if the A.I. apocalypse happens anytime soon, but I think I'll sell them on instead. :)

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I don't think any body here gives a rats ass about a, I told you so opportunity.
When the thread started there was no mention of an upgrade. It was a pair in a 37 gallon being quarantined for upgrade to a 125, both at best very tempory and in most cases impossible scenarios.
The impression given was that the 125 with tank mates would be the forever home for the dovii too. I think the replies were as expected.
But yes the op is free to do as he chooses and we have no knowledge of his future plans. Personally I don't think there were any.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IMO future contingencies are a must when dealing with large species of fish, especially those that also typically come with a nasty temperament. I don't think that encouraging people to buy the fish, and sort sheet out as you go along, is the way to go, and from the outside looking in that certainly appears to be the way this is going. Not my fish, not my problem, just sayin .....

Good thing for the internet and potentially shipping a larger fish.
Joe, just another FYI ..... selling adult dovii, or even semi adult dovii, and shipping that live fish, is also sometimes a lot easier said than done. Like I said at the end of the day not my fish, not my problem, but IME planning ahead before you have a problem (like a large aggro wolf with fins) is the best way to go for all parties concerned. Fish such as dovii are a serious commitment, that's the main point that I think most have been attempting to get across. Good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Shipping any fish can be quite a challenge, and the larger the fish, the bigger the challenge in many ways. A large (and as RD said, even a semi adult dovii) will with need enough water, so will weigh quite a bit, as such the shipping cost will be prohibitive.
Especially because large specimens are often available for free after they've wiped out someones favorite collection, and outgrown tanks.
The risk of a large fish arriving alive, due to the stress of shipping, unless the shipper is very experienced, will also be high.
Fin spines also become very problematic the older a cichlid gets.
The last time I had dovii, I picked up a bag of 10 juvies for $2 at our clubs auction. The only reason I ended up with them was no one else bid.

The largest ate half of them within two weeks in a 150 gallon, and killed all others except a chosen female soon after.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
From a recent ad on a local forum where I live - "I have a 12-14” male dovii (Wolf cichlid) for sale" ....... the seller ended up lowering the price to FREE, just to get rid of it. Even at a very low price, and a beautiful specimen, he couldn't sell it. Hopefully it didn't end up on someone's barbecue. :character0062:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
No argument with the above posts, no argument with a reality check on size, temperament, or requirements of this species. Anything else, in terms of another side to the conversation, I've already covered it.

I'd save them for the apocalypse too, could be mixed and enhance the flavor of Soylent Green.
Soylent blue?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Stanzzz7 - I told you I had a plan A, B, and C at some point right? I never said I was going to keep the dovii in a 125 forever.

Anyway I appreciate the input from everyone about how rehoming/shipping the Dovii may be more trouble than it's worth.

For now I'm going to have these two little creatures for the foreseeable future as I bring them up to health. They came from a stressed situation I'm not going to put them through any other trouble for now.

RD- I'm a bit shocked that person on your local forum had to give away for free. How much would you say an adult Dovii is worth? Some times people don't know how to market what they are selling meaning on the correct venues.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
RD- I'm a bit shocked that person on your local forum had to give away for free. How much would you say an adult Dovii is worth? Some times people don't know how to market what they are selling meaning on the correct venues.
It had nothing to do with marketing, among other places, he had it listed on the largest and most successful online venue that we have here in the Province. It had to do with what Duane stated earlier.

The problem with rehoming any large fish, is any experienced aquarist knows a rather large tank is needed, and this cuts your prospective group by about 90%, and then anyone who has experience with dovii, will know they usually do not play well with others, and would need to be willing to dedicate a large tank to only that one fish, which drops the takers down another 9% or more.
Lots of people in these parts have massive tanks, and massive fish, but not a lot of people want to devote a massive tank in the 500 gallon range to a single cichlid. A single Asian aro worth 5K, sure, but not a single cichlid. Even most Asian aro owners want some kind of community set up, with clown loaches, dats, rays, or whatever to compliment their show fish.

How much is an adult worth? To me personally, nothing. I wouldn't take one for free due to not being able to properly provide for it. I had an importer friend offer me a blue base xback Asian aro for free a few years ago, and I declined his very generous offer for the same reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store