Male young dovii killing female dovii

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
All that too, and no certainly not a crime. But the OP came here asking advice about a specific scenario, involving a specific species, so that tends to open the door.

As I began reading this thread this is exactly how I was viewing the situation. Anyone experienced with dovii would have known better. Really no softer way to put that. Not a crime, but a pretty big mistake for any cichlid species that is known to be aggressive, even at the current size. "Has anyone seen a male kill a female this young they are about 5 in?" Hell yeah, plenty of us have, including fish far smaller, and known to be far less agro than a dovii.

And the OP stating that the plan was only to buy one, and then decided to give a male & female a whirl in a 37 gallon, doesn't change anything in my mind.

Nope not a crime, unless maybe you live in Great Britain.
Yup and this was a lesson learned about taking an additional fish and throwing a wrench in my game plan. Another lesson learned was that even with plenty of hiding spots two aggressive cichlids will not work out. After I bring back the female Dovii to health I will have to find her a new home.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
And it is that exact attitude that has gotten you where you are, with some of the more experienced members here on MFK. Any idea how many times some of us have read "good intention" comments over the years, from people that plan on upgrading down the road? Some of us hundreds, possibly thousands, personally I have lost count.

I don't believe that's what has happened here. What appears to have happened is people have been basing their comments, and predictions, on what you have posted thus far. IMO, you just don't get it, but again, I can only go by the feel of what I have read thus far. You and your fish have already learned one hard lesson with this species, previous posters are only attempting to help you avoid another. Buy the tank, then the fish, a lesson that I learned early on in this hobby. Good luck amigo.

Well either I upgrade or rehome it. Not difficult nor is it cruel if timed properly which I have every intention on doing. I don't know if I want to keep this fish for 10 years. If things change I plan accordingly.

Let me ask this. Is it difficult to rehome a larger Dovii?

When I said "I have absolutely no concerns about a 12 inch Dovii because I do not own one." it's because my attitude is that I've owned this fish for 2 weeks so why jump that far ahead.

Maybe some of you guys buy the tank and then fish in this circumstance but what do you if the fish dies at 6 inches? Do you buy another one? What if the next fish dies from a disease? Do you keep at it with the fish that you want? Well maybe you do but maybe I won't and then I'd be stuck with a 600 gallon tank.

I really don't understand what's wrong with owning a 5 inch dovii and a 125 gallon tank to start off with?

I need to make sure this fish is healthy, grows etc before I buy the 600 or whatever home it would need to live a good life.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The problem with rehoming any large fish, is any experienced aquarist knows a rather large tank is needed, and this cuts your prospective group by about 90%, and then anyone who has experience with dovii, will know they usually do not play well with others, and would need to be willing to dedicate a large tank to only that one fish, which drops the takers down another 9% or more.
As an example, a friend of mine runs an aquatic exhibit at a large zoo.
He says at least twice per week someone shows up with a medium large pacu, red tail cat or dovii wanting the zoo to take it, and he can't.
He needs to quarantine anything at least 6 months, and is already at species limits in his 10,000 gallon Amazon display with Pacu, and Red tails.
You may be left with the option of eating it yourself, to put it out of its misery, and before you get bent out of shape by this, I live in Panama, where cichlids are a normal part of the menu. We eat, black belts, peacock bass and Tilapia all the time.
fullsizeoutput_1c9.jpeg
We have an annual peacock bass jamboree every year to rid Lake Gatun of as many of the invasive species as possible (like the Cichla), so many end up in he pot.
I kept them when I lived in the states, here they are a nuisance.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey Joe, it's all good. I don't want you to get the impression that anyone is ganging up on you. I think that everyone has the fish, as well as your best intentions in mind. It's not like we all haven't made some impulse decisions along the way over the years, that didn't always end well. I know that I certainly have. Unfortunately like Duane just stated large fish, especially aggro ones, are not always so easy to even give away for free when larger.

Anyways, I can think of far worse things than being stuck with a 600 gallon tank. :)

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Hey Joe, it's all good. I don't want you to get the impression that anyone is ganging up on you. I think that everyone has the fish, as well as your best intentions in mind. It's not like we all haven't made some impulse decisions along the way over the years, that didn't always end well. I know that I certainly have. Unfortunately like Duane just stated large fish, especially aggro ones, are not always so easy to even give away for free when larger.

Anyways, I can think of far worse things than being stuck with a 600 gallon tank. :)
Absolutely no worries. I think this back and forth is good for me as well other's! Hey I got some excellent advice for the most part so I'm happy with it and thanks for the input.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
The problem with rehoming any large fish, is any experienced aquarist knows a rather large tank is needed, and this cuts your prospective group by about 90%, and then anyone who has experience with dovii, will know they usually do not play well with others, and would need to be willing to dedicate a large tank to only that one fish, which drops the takers down another 9% or more.
As an example, a friend of mine runs an aquatic exhibit at a large zoo.
He says at least twice per week someone shows up with a medium large pacu, red tail cat or dovii wanting the zoo to take it, and he can't.
He needs to quarantine anything at least 6 months, and is already at species limits in his 10,000 gallon Amazon display with Pacu, and Red tails.
You may be left with the option of eating it yourself, to put it out of its misery, and before you get bent out of shape by this, I live in Panama, where cichlids are a normal part of the menu. We eat, black belts, peacock bass and Tilapia all the time.
View attachment 1347713
We have an annual peacock bass jamboree every year to rid Lake Gatun of as many of the invasive species as possible (like the Cichla), so many end up in he pot.
I kept them when I lived in the states, here they are a nuisance.
Appreciate the input good point about the difficulty rehoming it. Good thing for the internet and potentially shipping a larger fish.

Ha by the way I never eat fish. I cannot stand the taste or smell. So in my house clean tanks are a must.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Agree with much of the above. My point was let's not keep banging on future contingencies based on yes/no to one single scenario-- setting up a monster tank-- when there are other options if the time comes and a monster tank isn't in the cards. That and the fact that many, probably most, maybe all of us have dealt with similar scenarios of what to do with this or that fish or tankful of fish for one reason or another. I have no problem with saying plans for future tank upgrades don't always work out, but I personally wouldn't want someone who doesn't know me predicting what I will or won't do with my own fish or tanks at some future date (or looking for an 'I told you so' opportunity). That ball is in my court.

Eating pet fish isn't necessarily a good idea. For one thing, you (and whoever had the fish before you) should have avoided a number of aquarium meds and chemicals not safe for food fish.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/would-you-eat-your-own-fish

Last edited:
Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Agree with much of the above. My point was let's not keep banging on future contingencies based on yes/no to one single scenario-- setting up a monster tank-- when there are other options if the time comes and a monster tank isn't in the cards. That and the fact that many, probably most, maybe all of us have dealt with similar scenarios of what to do with this or that fish or tankful of fish for one reason or another. I have no problem with saying plans for future tank upgrades don't always work out, but I personally wouldn't want someone who doesn't know me predicting what I will or won't do with my own fish or tanks at some future date (or looking for an 'I told you so' opportunity). That ball is in my court.

Eating pet fish isn't necessarily a good idea. For one thing, you (and whoever had the fish before you) should have avoided a number of aquarium meds and chemicals not safe for food fish.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/would-you-eat-your-own-fish
Good stuff I fully agree. Excellent article about the potential risks of eating your own pet.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have eaten a number of aquatic pets, but I don't use medications (other than salt), and most of mine were acquired very young.
If its something simple like ick fine (salt), but if the malady is more complicated and in quarantine, I prefer to euthanize rather than take the chance of anything spreading in the fish room.
I usually quarantine at least 3 months.
Cichlids (and others) eaten here in Panama are wild caught, although I doubt wild caught are any less exposed to toxic elements than aquarium fish are.

fullsizeoutput_4b5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aa0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_496.jpeg
sorry for the photo bomb derail

Reactions: Irecruitfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store