Male young dovii killing female dovii

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You strike me as someone who gets massive pleasure out "I told you so" type situations. P
Not at all, though I do often find myself in a "told you so situation" It's very common, especially with dovii keepers.
I actually hope it all works out for you and the fish. I just doubt it will..

Reactions: Irecruitfish

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One final question to you because I just want to make sure we are on the same page and let's keep it simple. Are you saying that a 4-5 inch Dovii will not survive or grow well in a 125 and then the move to a 220 will also not be a good idea. I am not talking about a 12 inch fis
I do consider a 125 a decent grow out tank for a 4" dovii, might even last a year.
At 12" (as some others have said) it will need to be moved to a much larger tank.
I consider 10 gallons of tank, per inch of cichlid minimal, but include height and width, beside length in that calculation in my tanks.
Tank size, has a lot to do with what any cichlid with tolerate in its normal perception of adequate territory for tank mates, the larger the tank, the more tolerant cichlids become odd sharing space.
Let me give an example.
I had a pair of Nosferatu bartoni in a 125, doing well spawning, and copasetic, so after the 3rd spawn, I gave them to a member of our aquarium club to BAP.
He thought because they were only a 5" L male, and 4" L female they'd be OK in a 55. Within 24 hours of putting them in that 55 gal tank with some dithers, the female was dead.

Reactions: tlindsey

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I just don't comphrend how you can preach that plan will fail 100%
You misread my post. I never said I was establishing a new 125. It's already setup.
I already have the 125 setup however the 220 will have to be set up in the future. Who knows maybe I'll skip the 220 and buy a 600 gallon. I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.
Sometimes we have no control over what life deals us, and this is what people are saying. Although you may have every intention of upgrading, something could happen that prevents you from doing so (losing your job/income, natural disaster, etc). That's when it becomes cruel.
Nip it in the butt before it becomes an issue, in other words start looking for a bigger tank now because that 125 won't last long. ;)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You guys can say whatever you want of course but I hope some of you change your tune for the sake of other newer fish keepers. I'm no rookie but I can certainly see how this type of verbiage you guys start off with can steer people away from the fish keeping hobby.
You guys can say whatever you want of course but I hope some of you change your tune for the sake of other newer fish keepers. I'm no rookie but I can certainly see how this type of verbiage you guys start off with can steer people away from the fish keeping hobby.
I barely have a leg to stand on but I believe that I am right to say this.
We need more people like Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 , dan518 dan518 , duanes duanes , RD. RD. who will say it like it is. I believe all or most of them have told me things brutally honest and while I may have hated them at the time (even had stanz blocked for a week or so haha) I’ve come to realize it was for the best. Sugar coating stuff may work in some hobbies but not in this hobby. For example, if a fish is destined to die from a disease than it’s better to tell the person flat out there is no chance of saving it than to string them along giving them a false chance of hope.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have absolutely no concerns about a 12 inch Dovii because I do not own one.
And it is that exact attitude that has gotten you where you are, with some of the more experienced members here on MFK. Any idea how many times some of us have read "good intention" comments over the years, from people that plan on upgrading down the road? Some of us hundreds, possibly thousands, personally I have lost count.

As far as a track record goes that kind of talk shouldn't fly on a forum man. It's unnecessary. Just because another member may have done something wrong etc. you don't use that experience and put it on another member on here. Just because I do not have a track record on here you assume the worst?
I don't believe that's what has happened here. What appears to have happened is people have been basing their comments, and predictions, on what you have posted thus far. IMO, you just don't get it, but again, I can only go by the feel of what I have read thus far. You and your fish have already learned one hard lesson with this species, previous posters are only attempting to help you avoid another. Buy the tank, then the fish, a lesson that I learned early on in this hobby. Good luck amigo.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Any idea how many times some of us have read "good intention" comments over the years, from people that plan on upgrading down the road? Some of us hundreds, possibly thousands, personally I have lost count.
I get that, and I get giving the caution. On the other hand are those who follow through and successfully follow their plan.

Besides any of that, no one else here has bought fish or a group of fish, then life happens, moving, job change, illness, new baby gets the fish room, whatever-- or you simply decide to go in a different direction? So you move the fish on to someone else. Has also happened thousands of times, it's not a crime.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
All that too, and no certainly not a crime. But the OP came here asking advice about a specific scenario, involving a specific species, so that tends to open the door.

You started the thread with a pair in a 37 gal and saying your going to upgrade to a 125. That is always going to make members question if you have the ability to house such a fish
As I began reading this thread this is exactly how I was viewing the situation. Anyone experienced with dovii would have known better. Really no softer way to put that. Not a crime, but a pretty big mistake for any cichlid species that is known to be aggressive, even at the current size. "Has anyone seen a male kill a female this young they are about 5 in?" Hell yeah, plenty of us have, including fish far smaller, and known to be far less agro than a dovii.

And the OP stating that the plan was only to buy one, and then decided to give a male & female a whirl in a 37 gallon, doesn't change anything in my mind.

Nope not a crime, unless maybe you live in Great Britain.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I barely have a leg to stand on but I believe that I am right to say this.
We need more people like Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 , dan518 dan518 , duanes duanes , RD. RD. who will say it like it is. I believe all or most of them have told me things brutally honest and while I may have hated them at the time (even had stanz blocked for a week or so haha) I’ve come to realize it was for the best. Sugar coating stuff may work in some hobbies but not in this hobby. For example, if a fish is destined to die from a disease than it’s better to tell the person flat out there is no chance of saving it than to string them along giving them a false chance of hope.
We definitely people like them I agree. However I flat out don't agree that in my situation I should let the wolf fish die just because she's in a 10 gallon tank. It was a rescue situation. If I bought it from a store sure I'd return it no questions asked!

I don't expect things to be sugar coated but I don't let people belittle me either. Stating I did zero research. That approach is flat out wrong on forums. But everyone is entitled to their own approach and I respect that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store