Male young dovii killing female dovii

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Is that dovii in the tank now? No its not.
Oh you'll see an update when the Dovii is in the 125 with the hoplias mala. and spotted gar for sure. I don't think you understand but let me state this simply. I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll guarantee you my hoplias or spotted gar will not die. The Dovii will be rehomed. My fish keeping style is not to dump the fish in and walk away for a week and come back and revisit. Is that what you were thinking? Did you not think I would monitor the situation very closely?

If it does work....well I can't wait to see your response then.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
There is nothing wrong with growing out a dovii in a 125 then upgrading to a 220 when he hits the 12 inch point, then upgrading again when he hits 18 inch, in some ways the best way of doing it. If people have the tanks ready or a track record of being able to upgrade there fish nobody would worry. You started the thread with a pair in a 37 gal and saying your going to upgrade to a 125. That is always going to make members question if you have the ability to house such a fish. Lots of people come on here saying there going to upgrade but life gets in the way and they never manage it.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Oh you'll see an update when the Dovii is in the 125 with the hoplias mala. and spotted gar for sure. I don't think you understand but let me state this simply. I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work I'll guarantee you my hoplias or spotted gar will not die. The Dovii will be rehomed. My fish keeping style is not to dump the fish in and walk away for a week and come back and revisit. Is that what you were thinking? Did you not think I would monitor the situation very closely?

If it does work....well I can't wait to see your response then.
Didn't realise these are the tankmates. For a guess the dovii will start to pester the mala, either the mala gets stressed and stops feeding or fights back which won't be good for the dovii. If in ten or so years time you post a pic of a fin perfect 2+ft dovii, 2 ft mala, 2+ft gar in a 220 gal then I will eat my words. In the meantime I am going to have a snack, think I will need it.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
There is nothing wrong with growing out a dovii in a 125 then upgrading to a 220 when he hits the 12 inch point, then upgrading again when he hits 18 inch, in some ways the best way of doing it. If people have the tanks ready or a track record of being able to upgrade there fish nobody would worry. You started the thread with a pair in a 37 gal and saying your going to upgrade to a 125. That is always going to make members question if you have the ability to house such a fish. Lots of people come on here saying there going to upgrade but life gets in the way and they never manage it.
You misread my post. I never said I was establishing a new 125. It's already setup.
I already have the 125 setup however the 220 will have to be set up in the future. Who knows maybe I'll skip the 220 and buy a 600 gallon. I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

As far as a track record goes that kind of talk shouldn't fly on a forum man. It's unnecessary. Just because another member may have done something wrong etc. you don't use that experience and put it on another member on here. Just because I do not have a track record on here you assume the worst?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You misread my post. I never said I was establishing a new 125. It's already setup.
I already have the 125 setup however the 220 will have to be set up in the future. Who knows maybe I'll skip the 220 and buy a 600 gallon. I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

As far as a track record goes that kind of talk shouldn't fly on a forum man. It's unnecessary. Just because another member may have done something wrong etc. you don't use that experience and put it on another member on here. Just because I do not have a track record on here you assume the worst?
To be fair, you gave us good reason.
Still think you are risking the lives of your fish. Still, your fish. Go for it.
Personally wouldn't keep anything above 12inch in a 220.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
People can only base there advice from what you say, your first few posts came across as lacking a bit of knowledge about dovii. It's up to you if you take the advice or not, we are only trying to help.
Good luck to you, imo your going to need it.

Reactions: RD. and Stanzzzz7

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
To be fair, you gave us good reason.
Still think you are risking the lives of your fish. Still, your fish. Go for it.
Personally wouldn't keep anything above 12inch in a 220.
So I posted on here for help not to have someone say "let the fish die" or "you did no research". The mistake I made was putting two Dovii in a 37 quarantine tank. The hiding spots were useless for them. Again I was only buying one but saw the situation that the "many" Dovii were in when I purchased it so thought to myself I'll give it a whirl.

You guys can say whatever you want of course but I hope some of you change your tune for the sake of other newer fish keepers. I'm no rookie but I can certainly see how this type of verbiage you guys start off with can steer people away from the fish keeping hobby.

I'm not sure when I'll do the transfer to the 220 for the Dovii. That's months ahead. Who knows maybe I'll put the 5 inch Dovii in the 125 and something may go haywire with the hoplias mala. Maybe I'll have to rehome it immediately.

Do you see where I"m coming from? I'm focusing on now and the slight near future. I have absolutely no concerns about a 12 inch Dovii because I do not own one.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
People can only base there advice from what you say, your first few posts came across as lacking a bit of knowledge about dovii. It's up to you if you take the advice or not, we are only trying to help.
Good luck to you, imo your going to need it.
Again people should ask questions instead of jumping to conclusions.

I don't know about you but I enjoy what I'm doing in terms of fish keeping so no luck needed. I have an A, B , and C plan. But thanks anyways.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Out of interest, what's plan a, b and c?
You strike me as someone who gets massive pleasure out "I told you so" type situations. Plan A is to house the male Dovii in the 37 quarantine for a month or so and then it will go into the 125. So if Plan A doesn't work out I for some odd reason believe you will be happy. I promise I will update you either way on Plan A.

I'll see how that situation fairs before I need to think about Plan B and so forth.

As you can already tell I'm not the type of fish keeper who will buy a 600 gallon tank just because I purchased a 5 inch Dovii. As things progress I'll make moves accordingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store