Male young dovii killing female dovii

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016

I'm trying to set up a 10 gallon to put the female in but for now I don't have it set up. I hope she will survive the night but in the meantime I added some aquarium salt and did a water change hopefully he will leave her alone.

Has anyone seen a male kill a female this young they are about 5 in?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I'm trying to set up a 10 gallon to put the female in but for now I don't have it set up. I hope she will survive the night but in the meantime I added some aquarium salt and did a water change hopefully he will leave her alone.

Has anyone seen a male kill a female this young they are about 5 in?

The male Dovii will kill the larger female if left in that aquarium.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You should take those fish back immediately. You have obviously done no research on this species. If you have then you chose to ignore it.
What you are attempting is nothing short of being cruel.
That tank is only big enough for small community fish, not huge aggressive cichlids.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
You should take those fish back immediately. You have obviously done no research on this species. If you have then you chose to ignore it.
That tank is only big enough for small community fish, not huge aggressive cichlids.
Not trying to sound like a d*ck or anything, but stanzzzz is right.

That tank is WAY to small for dovii, even as young fish they need lots of space to claim.

If you can rehome them or give them back to the store that would be best. There are lots of fish that would work to make a beautiful display in a tank that size and not leave you with a massacre.

As for what to do in the mean time... I have no clue. Do you have a large rubbermaid tub you could set up as a temporary tank? Normally I'd suggest a temporary divider but in a tank that small it's cruel to divide it and force the fish into an even smaller space..
But then I guess its also cruel to let him kill her..
Which is the lesser of two evils? I honestly don't know.

Either way good luck. But please, get these fish into a better (bigger) home asap. :)

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
No research? Chill out. Number one I did plenty of reading and ask around no one said that when you buy to dovii what to do with a quarantine tank. I'm not risking putting them in one of my 125 to infect my other fish. I will however get the 10 gallon setup for the female hopefully she still alive of course.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Not trying to sound like a d*ck or anything, but stanzzzz is right.

That tank is WAY to small for dovii, even as young fish they need lots of space to claim.

If you can rehome them or give them back to the store that would be best. There are lots of fish that would work to make a beautiful display in a tank that size and not leave you with a massacre.

As for what to do in the mean time... I have no clue. Do you have a large rubbermaid tub you could set up as a temporary tank? Normally I'd suggest a temporary divider but in a tank that small it's cruel to divide it and force the fish into an even smaller space..
But then I guess its also cruel to let him kill her..
Which is the lesser of two evils? I honestly don't know.

Either way good luck. But please, get these fish into a better (bigger) home asap. :)
Excellent idea thank you! I plan on using Tupperware that's a great idea I cannot return her but will try to rehome her. I didn't get her from a store

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Just an FYI everyone. My plan was to only get one dovii but the owner was in a situation where he had to get rid of 3 and I didn't know that this would happen so I ended up just taking two. I thought the male female xombo would work plus the hiding spots.

It was a failure lesson learnt. I just hope she's still alive.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
No research? Chill out. Number one I did plenty of reading and ask around no one said that when you buy to dovii what to do with a quarantine tank. I'm not risking putting them in one of my 125 to infect my other fish. I will however get the 10 gallon setup for the female hopefully she still alive of course.
Dovii I in a 125 with other fish will soon have the same out come.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store