Mantis Shrimp ID

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
So yesterday I saw a Mantis Shrimp (I am assuming it was a mantis shrimp) pop out of the rocks. He must have been there for quite sometime as I haven't added in anything new for a while now.
This would explain the mystery of my missing invertebrates (a few months ago my cleaner shrimp both disappeared, I have been noticing a decrease in my smaller hermit crabs, and I haven't seen my peppermint shrimp for 5 days now).
I know the video doesn't show the full body, and it is a little grainy, but I was hoping to understand what kind of mantis shrimp this is. I really hope it is one of the smaller hammer variety's as I don't want my fish to start disappearing. They seem to be ok now though.

he is a white/cream colour through-out the entire body. No colour markings. He darted out his hiding place into the hole above him (after I cut the video sadly) and he was surprisingly long, 5.5cm - 6cm in length. judging by the distance he stretched out between the holes. He was about as long as my biggest clownfish.

Mantis shrimp.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So yesterday I saw a Mantis Shrimp (I am assuming it was a mantis shrimp) pop out of the rocks. He must have been there for quite sometime as I haven't added in anything new for a while now.
This would explain the mystery of my missing invertebrates (a few months ago my cleaner shrimp both disappeared, I have been noticing a decrease in my smaller hermit crabs, and I haven't seen my peppermint shrimp for 5 days now).
I know the video doesn't show the full body, and it is a little grainy, but I was hoping to understand what kind of mantis shrimp this is. I really hope it is one of the smaller hammer variety's as I don't want my fish to start disappearing. They seem to be ok now though.

he is a white/cream colour through-out the entire body. No colour markings. He darted out his hiding place into the hole above him (after I cut the video sadly) and he was surprisingly long, 5.5cm - 6cm in length. judging by the distance he stretched out between the holes. He was about as long as my biggest clownfish.

View attachment 1394183

I personally would try to trap the Mantis Shrimp. No matter what specie they are bad news and will grow and it probably will be the only thing left in the aquarium beside the anemone..

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thanks for the replies guys. I was a little concerned when I first saw him cause I know what they are capable of and what a mission it would be to get him out. Either I will look at trapping him, or leave him for a little bit and see how he gets on. I have some other crab hitchhikers in my tank I have been rather enjoying too. I was thinking of just leaving everything and seeing what happens and waiting till he eats all the other hitchhikers and gets bigger before trapping him.
I hope he gets comfortable and comes out more so I can get some proper photos and videos. I understand that some species stay small and some get big.
I found my peppermint and pistol shrimp yesterday while looking for the mantis, so they appear to still be there. As well as 3 of the crab hitchhikers who have been there for a couple months.
Maybe he lands up living with the fish and I just give him a steady supply of small crabs from the beach.
The joys of saltwater haha.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hmm dont know what kind of crab that is. Looks to be enjoying some algae or detritus. Claws are pointed so deffinately an omnivore or carnivore, paddle shaped tips are herbivorous. All shrimp and crabs are opportunistic though.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the replies guys. I was a little concerned when I first saw him cause I know what they are capable of and what a mission it would be to get him out. Either I will look at trapping him, or leave him for a little bit and see how he gets on. I have some other crab hitchhikers in my tank I have been rather enjoying too. I was thinking of just leaving everything and seeing what happens and waiting till he eats all the other hitchhikers and gets bigger before trapping him.
I hope he gets comfortable and comes out more so I can get some proper photos and videos. I understand that some species stay small and some get big.
I found my peppermint and pistol shrimp yesterday while looking for the mantis, so they appear to still be there. As well as 3 of the crab hitchhikers who have been there for a couple months.
Maybe he lands up living with the fish and I just give him a steady supply of small crabs from the beach.
The joys of saltwater haha.
I'm kinda hoping you keep him tbh. He's really cool

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I think I will. He is one the smaller species apparently, so I will just leave everything be as is and see what happens.
They are a cool wet pet for sure. Mine was a small type to he was about 3" at most (thats probably a bit generous). Id have to buy a small live shrimp or crab everyonce in a while to keep him happy but he would eat silversides and krill. And then hed stop eating and I tried a live shrimp and all was good again for a while. So about 1 time a month id get him a live treat. Usually when I got a new chocolate chip star for the two harliquin shrimp I had too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store