maracyn vs maracyn 2

calioutlaw1a

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
California
Hi kamikaziechameleon!

Maracyn contains the active ingredient erythromycin, which works for gram positive bacterial infections.
Maracyn 2 contains the active ingredient minocycline, which works for both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections.

Most bacterial fish pathogens are gram negative, so maracyn 2 is usually a good choice. I am not sure about the shelf life of these products.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Hi kamikaziechameleon!

Maracyn contains the active ingredient erythromycin, which works for gram positive bacterial infections.
Maracyn 2 contains the active ingredient minocycline, which works for both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections.

Most bacterial fish pathogens are gram negative, so maracyn 2 is usually a good choice. I am not sure about the shelf life of these products.
Maracyn plus 2 is for gram negative bacterial infections, not positive gram. This is why Mardel claims it will not interfere with your biological filtration as your biological filtration is mostly composed of gram positive.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
WHAT ABOUT MARACYN TC

http://www.kensfish.com/product2808.html

HOW DOES THAT FIT IN, IS IT REDUNDANT. I previously treated with maracyn and maracyn 2 simultaneously after starting this thread and it worked on a tank as a blanket treatment. I was wondering if I should add TC in a upcoming blanket treatment for some different sick fish that refuse to get better.
TC is Tetracycline which is an "old school" gram negative anti bacterial med. Its been around a long time. Some say it is ineffective because its been used so much, bacteria has grown immune to it. Maracyn 2 is a better choice.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
WHAT ABOUT MARACYN TC

http://www.kensfish.com/product2808.html

HOW DOES THAT FIT IN, IS IT REDUNDANT. I previously treated with maracyn and maracyn 2 simultaneously after starting this thread and it worked on a tank as a blanket treatment. I was wondering if I should add TC in a upcoming blanket treatment for some different sick fish that refuse to get better.
Blanket treatment? Do you suspect bacterial infection? IMO these meds should be used as a last resort. These are powerful meds and can at times make things worst.

lipadj46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
queensbury
kanamyacin and nitrofurazoneare better choices if you are going to order antibiotics. Maracyn 1 and 2 have limited shelf lives and one is actually toxic after a certain age (forget which one).

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Blanket treatment? Do you suspect bacterial infection? IMO these meds should be used as a last resort. These are powerful meds and can at times make things worst.
Well I had some outbreak a while back that was basically incurable(lost over half of my fish across many tanks and different systems it jumped on the siphon hose) but I comboed maracyn 1 &2 with solar salt and got through it. I aquired a ton of fish from this guy and they all had what I thought was worms but I'm treated them for that and they have passed it but are still getting sick with non descript illness.

Here is that threatd:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?443986-Fish-illness&highlight=
I want to put all the fish left in a 75 gallon for 7 days, over filter it, do water changes daily and blanket treat it. Its either that or euthanize the fish since the quarantine tanks are not designed to keep adult cichlids longer than 3 weeks, they are to small the fish get to aggressive and I have to many sick animals.

I want to go back to my updated question, what is maracy TC and how does it fit in???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store