Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
what type of gene is 'marble'? dominant? co-dominant? recessive? line bred?
by line-bred/co-dominant I'm gonna go by what I know about breeding leopard geckos...
in leopard geckos if you have say a mack snow, mack snow is co-dominant. If you breed two mack snows you get a super snow.
as for line bred, in leopard geckos if you have say a tangerine, tangerine is line bred to be orange and patternless. The more you breed tangerine to tangerine, the more orange the offspring will be.
back to marbled convicts/hrp's.
From what I've heard, if you have two marbled convicts that are pretty much just pink but have some small flecks of black (from the marble gene) you can breed them over a few generations to get some with intense patterning.
I'm just wondering how this gene is passed. As I said in a previous post, one thing I'd like to try is hybridizing a marbled convict/hrp with a t-bar/sajica.
probably would go with the hrp, they're supposedly less aggressive and they have more color. I know Jeff Rapps has both marble hrps and convicts.

+View attachment 1289285
pictures belong to their respected owners

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Well I’ve bred marble convicts by breeding a true black to a pink then breeding one of those fry(Het pink) to another pink. Then continue breeding for select traits which is red coloring for me. Remember to continue to bring new blood into the line to prevent inbreeding.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
thanks! I'm not trying to breed them for their traits, I was just trying to find out if I were to cross a marble with a T-bar if the marble would be carried to the offspring.
in the end I'd just keep the best looking one and sell/give away the rest.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
I know that marble gene is a co-dominant trait. I have found this true between my personal experiences and reading stuff from other cichlid breeders. But i'm not sure what would happen when bred to a T-bar, you can certainly try though!

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
after a bit of research and a leopard gecko morph calculator, (just going with that cuz I know those have the co-dominant genes n stuff on them)
about 1/3 to 1/2 of the offspring of t-bar x marble convict/hrp would carry the marble gene if it's co-dominant.
now that begs the question, which should I go with for the parent?
convict? (aggressive, gets larger but has a unique body shape and color)
Honduran red point? (less aggressive, smaller, more color)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store