Marbled Eel better known as the Mottled eel

Wyattshaw99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
i recently purchased one of these monsters i currently have him in a 55 gallon tank with 2 breeder angel fish 2 gouramis and a pearl danio and a common pleco was wondering if anyone else had owned one of these before and what you could tell me. ive owned eels in the past but nothing from this family. i am aware that they grow to about 6 ft or i hear maybe larger i will be putting him in a 125 gallon tank when he gets big enough to not be eaten by the upside down cat that currently is the owner of the 125 as he is about 20in long and would easily eat him right now. i was just wondering how big anyone elses got, what you fed them. i have blood worms and fish strips i cut myself as food right now. he about a foot and half right now but only about as big as your pinky finger around. how quick will he grow and will he grow to the 6 ft if taken care of properly? anyone have any pictures of theirs sprry i dont have a picture for you all i got my phone taken away lol. dont worry about him in the 50 though yall hes got enough places to hide and has no way of escaping i tested my levels before i put him in and the nitrite and ammonia were basically zero (light blue and light yellow in the tube) although my nitrate was really high should i be concerned about the nitrate level? i always have a hard time lowering this level and it seems to not bother my other fish any thoughts?

Reactions: tlindsey

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
i recently purchased one of these monsters i currently have him in a 55 gallon tank with 2 breeder angel fish 2 gouramis and a pearl danio and a common pleco was wondering if anyone else had owned one of these before and what you could tell me. ive owned eels in the past but nothing from this family. i am aware that they grow to about 6 ft or i hear maybe larger i will be putting him in a 125 gallon tank when he gets big enough to not be eaten by the upside down cat that currently is the owner of the 125 as he is about 20in long and would easily eat him right now. i was just wondering how big anyone elses got, what you fed them. i have blood worms and fish strips i cut myself as food right now. he about a foot and half right now but only about as big as your pinky finger around. how quick will he grow and will he grow to the 6 ft if taken care of properly? anyone have any pictures of theirs sprry i dont have a picture for you all i got my phone taken away lol. dont worry about him in the 50 though yall hes got enough places to hide and has no way of escaping i tested my levels before i put him in and the nitrite and ammonia were basically zero (light blue and light yellow in the tube) although my nitrate was really high should i be concerned about the nitrate level? i always have a hard time lowering this level and it seems to not bother my other fish any thoughts?
nitrate should be under 40, nitrite and ammonia should always be 0 ......how often do you do a water change and how much?

Also, you will need a 500g tank for that Eel.
http://amorq.com/image/37937

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

SharptoothBass SharptoothBass he maybe able to help.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm afraid you're going to lose most of the eels tankmates. My little 4 footer eats fish up to 6" and cracks crayfish like they're made of warm butter. Here's a pic of him in the 180 Q tank.

Swamp Eel.jpg

Close-up head shot.

swamp eel head.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Can we get pics? @Wwyattshaw99 ?

You are gonna need a big tank mate

Reactions: Frank Castle