Massivore Question

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I use a mix of fresh veggies, freeze dried and pellet foods in my feeding scheme with various types of fish through the years. I find that HiKari offers a good array of products that all my fish relish.

While I have no problems with NLS(I used them for my Africans when I had them), their distribution channels are more limited and their advocates' attitudes(esp toward usage of other types of food) less than desirable.

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
After reading this thread, I must say that after seeing Hikari duck and dodge a simple question and give very vague and off point answers, I will never use your products. I have personally fed my fish NLS for 30 days and seen results of active, colorful and happy fish. A friend of mine used NLS exclusively for 30 days and saw the same kind of results. As a consumer I expect honesty from a company that has the reputation Hikari has and you were anything BUT honest in this thread. Again, your answers were vague and off point. Seems you only responded to those that praised your product and not those that had legitimate questions.

I feed my fish frozen, freeze dried and live treats in addition to their staple diet. In bulk, given that a 5 pound bucket can last nearly a year, NLS is far cheaper and far more nutritional to me fish with less fillers in it. Because let's be honest, Hikari products have a lot of fillers. I'm no scientist, but I can look at food labels and know what's thriller and what's filler. I can tell this when I look at organic and non organic foods that humans consume. Also, as an American, I prefer to support an American based company. Hikari is like McDonalds and NLS is like a nice home cooked meal to me.

For those wondering about MSG, which is present in a lot of Hikari's products, Here is it's possibly affects on humans... here is a link about what it can do to humans, sorry, but this makes me not want to use Hikari even more. I imagine these symptoms come from food allergies of some sort. Regardless, it's not something I fully trust to feed my fish.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251

If this can do that to humans, imagine what it can do to our fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
Gatorxxx420;4880703; said:
After reading this thread, I must say that after seeing Hikari duck and dodge a simple question and give very vague and off point answers, I will never use your products. I have personally fed my fish NLS for 30 days and seen results of active, colorful and happy fish. A friend of mine used NLS exclusively for 30 days and saw the same kind of results. As a consumer I expect honesty from a company that has the reputation Hikari has and you were anything BUT honest in this thread. Again, your answers were vague and off point. Seems you only responded to those that praised your product and not those that had legitimate questions.

I feed my fish frozen, freeze dried and live treats in addition to their staple diet. In bulk, given that a 5 pound bucket can last nearly a year, NLS is far cheaper and far more nutritional to me fish with less fillers in it. Because let's be honest, Hikari products have a lot of fillers. I'm no scientist, but I can look at food labels and know what's thriller and what's filler. I can tell this when I look at organic and non organic foods that humans consume. Also, as an American, I prefer to support an American based company. Hikari is like McDonalds and NLS is like a nice home cooked meal to me.

For those wondering about MSG, which is present in a lot of Hikari's products, Here is it's possibly affects on humans... here is a link about what it can do to humans, sorry, but this makes me not want to use Hikari even more. I imagine these symptoms come from food allergies of some sort. Regardless, it's not something I fully trust to feed my fish.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251

If this can do that to humans, imagine what it can do to our fish.

let me ask you this. If you had the cure for cancer. would you sell the cure or give it away free? The reason they arent telling you is because its propreitary.

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
nes999;4880734; said:
let me ask you this. If you had the cure for cancer. would you sell the cure or give it away free? The reason they arent telling you is because its propreitary.
Let me ask you this, have you ever had a family member look you in the eyes and tell you they had cancer? If you had friends and family that you watched suffer from cancer and you knew the cure... would you allow other people to watch what you, yourself saw happen to your loved ones? I wouldn't. Monetary gain wouldn't be my interest there. Helping people live would be.

I have, my mother looked me in the eyes and told me she had breast cancer. She was fortunate that it was caught early. But TONS of people are not. I've had friends and relatives die from cancer. It's a wicked disease to watch someone suffer from and there is no way I could sit on a cure knowing people watch their loved ones die from it every day. But that's what separates the greedy from the thoughtful.

Back on subject, Hikari ducks and dodges things and acts as though they have something to hide. Vague and off point answers to a simple question that can be answered without giving away proprietary information. If you choose to feed your fish Hikari, that's fine. I do not, and have even less interest in using even their frozen products at this point after reading this thread. I'd rather support an American company over a foreign one. Especially after seeing that results from the American company are as good or better than the foreign and that the long term over all costs are far cheaper.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
ecoli73;4880820; said:
"the long term over all costs are far cheaper"

Not true.
You can buy a 5 pound bucket of NLS for 60 shipped on this very website, that 5 pound bucket can last a good 6-8 months. A 2.2 pound bag of massivore is generally 50 bucks. I was no expert in math, but 5 pounds of food that will last me about a year versus a 2.2 pound bag that'd probably only last me a month or 2 is a whole lot cheaper. It breaks down to be 15 or less a month feed fish with a 5 pound bucket of high grade food, so yes it's very true.

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
Gatorxxx420;4881593; said:
You can buy a 5 pound bucket of NLS for 60 shipped on this very website, that 5 pound bucket can last a good 6-8 months. A 2.2 pound bag of massivore is generally 50 bucks. I was no expert in math, but 5 pounds of food that will last me about a year versus a 2.2 pound bag that'd probably only last me a month or 2 is a whole lot cheaper. It breaks down to be 15 or less a month feed fish with a 5 pound bucket of high grade food, so yes it's very true.

60 dollars for nls lasts you a year for 5 pounds
35 to 40 for massivor that lasts 1 month to 2 month doesnt make any sense. 2.2 is just about half the weight. if you feed the same wth both it should last 6 months. if you search hard and well u can get it much cheaper then that even.

Reactions: Fish rescue

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
Gatorxxx420;4880765; said:
Let me ask you this, have you ever had a family member look you in the eyes and tell you they had cancer? If you had friends and family that you watched suffer from cancer and you knew the cure... would you allow other people to watch what you, yourself saw happen to your loved ones? I wouldn't. Monetary gain wouldn't be my interest there. Helping people live would be.

I have, my mother looked me in the eyes and told me she had breast cancer. She was fortunate that it was caught early. But TONS of people are not. I've had friends and relatives die from cancer. It's a wicked disease to watch someone suffer from and there is no way I could sit on a cure knowing people watch their loved ones die from it every day. But that's what separates the greedy from the thoughtful.

Back on subject, Hikari ducks and dodges things and acts as though they have something to hide. Vague and off point answers to a simple question that can be answered without giving away proprietary information. If you choose to feed your fish Hikari, that's fine. I do not, and have even less interest in using even their frozen products at this point after reading this thread. I'd rather support an American company over a foreign one. Especially after seeing that results from the American company are as good or better than the foreign and that the long term over all costs are far cheaper.
Considering my family is cancer ridden also no one would give away their secret recipe. go to any chef and ask them. if our lucky they might tell u one or 2 ingrediants. but you must be naive to belive they should tell u everything thats in it. if any company told u every ingrediant you could make it yourself.

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
This thread turns out to be an entertaining read.

It is surprising how a fishkeeper is soo concerned with ingredients and content of a fish food; trying to be their own scientist, and what goes into the diet of their pet and wanting to know and scrutinize its content (in this case the usage of starch) drawing opinion trying to make sense of their own reasoning..
Well at first the discussion sounds legit but after 12 pages.. Desperate.

Given the choice, anyone would want to provide the best for their pet. Who wouldn't?
But to come out trying to tell people off and swaying negative input all around is not good and looks a bit desperate seriously..
Definitely not against an organization that specialized in something for over a century.

Then again, look around you. People still CHOOSE to consume Coca Cola and fast foods even after being told of its negative effect on the body. LOL. Who are we to blame??

P.S. Both NLS and Hikari are readily available here almost on every shelf of all local fish shop where I'm at. To compare how affordable NLS is to Hikari pound for pound here again is a bit.. desperate to say the least. NLS is overpriced here as compared to Hikari and other reputable brand.

Oh well.. 5+ years have passed since the last post.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store