Matten Filter for 300 - Umbee or Amphilophus heavy stocking

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
A sump with poret foam would be better.

For a 300 gallon tank, you could use the corner ones if the tank is really wide.

Stephen Tanner the owner of Swiss tropicals is really helpful, shoot him an email directly.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I use one on a 125 with 9 clown loaches and 3 yo-yo loaches.
Thanks - did you do the full matten on one side, or the corners? Also, did you go 4" and what PPI did you use/recommend? I'm thinking about doing a 4" 20 PPI, w/ a 3" 10 PPI in front (on my 135 test case w/ Amphilophus) - that way, I would never have the clean the main one. I think w/ big fish it could clog easy. Are you glad you did it - any concerns? Last, are you clowns good size, or pretty low bio for now?
Thanks!

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
A sump with poret foam would be better.

For a 300 gallon tank, you could use the corner ones if the tank is really wide.

Stephen Tanner the owner of Swiss tropicals is really helpful, shoot him an email directly.
I hear you w/ the sump. I'm just trying to stack two tanks due to space limitations (so no area for sump) and want to eliminate leak chances w/ water leaving and entering the tank. Mine will be 72" long and likely 30" or more wide - do you think 30" would be enough for two corners?

urodoji

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
everywhere....
I used a full mattenfilter across one end. The heaters, pump, 8x8x4 Marinepure block, and some scrap foam are behind it. I used a 4” sheet of 20 ppi Poret from Swiss Tropicals. I used cornerfilters in my 150 and my 75 and have been satisfied with them. I’ve never had trouble with clogging, and use mattenfilter almost exclusively now.

My clown loaches range in size from 4 to 6 inches, and the yo-yos range from 2 to 3 inches.

I’d recommend you contact Dr. Tanner directly. He’s wonderful to work with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store