Matten Filter for 300 - Umbee or Amphilophus heavy stocking

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
NW Cichlid Keith NW Cichlid Keith curious if you setup the HMF on your 135g and how its going.
It's going great - but the test did chance a little bit. I had too many barred midas babies, so the dad went back in the 300 and the mom in a 75 w/ her babies. It turned the 135 into a low tech planted tank (anubias and java fern & moss) w/ a bunch of smaller/mid fish. I've only done water changes (no other cleaning) and it has worked great. You can see in the pics (just took and haven't done a water change in a week) that the super-lifters create a ton of water movement. It blows the fish around on the other end of the tank (I only have on one end of a 6 ft tank), and this is now all run on just one 26 watt air pump - and it is much quieter than normal sponge filters. BTW, I put one on a heavily stocked native 10 gallon tank my son has, and it is doing really well too.135 2, 2-3-2018.JPG 135, 2-3-2018.JPG

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
NW Cichlid Keith NW Cichlid Keith curious if you setup the HMF on your 135g and how its going.
It's going great - but the test did chance a little bit. I had too many barred midas babies, so the dad went back in the 300 and the mom in a 75 w/ her babies. It turned the 135 into a low tech planted tank (anubias and java fern & moss) w/ a bunch of smaller/mid fish. I've only done water changes (no other cleaning) and it has worked great. You can see in the pics (just took and haven't done a water change in a week) that the super-lifters create a ton of water movement. It blows the fish around on the other end of the tank (I only have on one end of a 6 ft tank), and this is now all run on just one 26 watt air pump - and it is much quieter than normal sponge filters. BTW, I put one on a heavily stocked native 10 gallon tank my son has, and it is doing really well too.View attachment 1297885 View attachment 1297886

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
NW Cichlid Keith NW Cichlid Keith still planning to put the HMF on your 300g? I am planning out a 535g tank and heavily leaning towards HMF filters by two two corner filters.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Still thinking about it - but want to test it out for a little while - all is well in the first few months though. I'm also experimenting w/ an anoxic filter for reducing nitrates - the following link shows you what I'm looking at doing:
I just tested one, and if it works - will need to see if it has to go in a sump, or can go behind a matten filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store