Max Captivity Size of Alligator Gar

N8sharpe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2012
Cincinnati
Most captive-raised alligator gar will not reach their wild potential due to a variety of reasons including genetics, diet, water parameters, aquarium/pond size, and a variety of other factors.
True

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jackyx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
Singapore
Hmm ok thanks guys.
And dont worry, not picking any up.
All i have is Florida and currently in search for a Cuban.
Question on Gator is only for learning incase imma get em in the future =P
Thanks again

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again:

If you fish doesn't reach is natural "wild" adult size, you did something wrong.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again:

If you fish doesn't reach is natural "wild" adult size, you did something wrong.
there are lots of complex issues around that statement and the general post though Matt. even so general as to say what is the "natural" "wild" "adult" size? at what age? from what populations? with what genetic variation for growth? at what type of plasticity? all those factor in and don't even begin to get into captivity issues...you think a whale shark in captivity is going to reach 50'? public aquariums face these same issues too--
--solomon

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
there are lots of complex issues around that statement and the general post though Matt. even so general as to say what is the "natural" "wild" "adult" size? at what age? from what populations? with what genetic variation for growth? at what type of plasticity? all those factor in and don't even begin to get into captivity issues...you think a whale shark in captivity is going to reach 50'? public aquariums face these same issues too--
--solomon
do you have any information on those 6-7ft alligator gar at Texas freshwater fisheries center? like when do they put them in that 300,000g tank, do they grow during the time being kept in there and what is the estimated age of them?
PS: And I remember seeing a large broken back long nose(probably over 5 ft long) in there too.

Jackyx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2012
Singapore
I guess it really depends on many different factors but it seems like most fishes do not get to their max sizes in the wild when they are in captivity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store