Max Captivity Size of Alligator Gar

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I guess it really depends on many different factors but it seems like most fishes do not get to their max sizes in the wild when they are in captivity.
Many small fish can meet or exceed what their wild max size is. It's only when you start dealing with larger fish that you tend to start getting fish smaller than wild maxes. One thing that I have heard as a reason for this is genetic potential. Not every fish of a given species has the genetic potential to get to the max size. Certain population get to different sizes as adults.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
there are lots of complex issues around that statement and the general post though Matt. even so general as to say what is the "natural" "wild" "adult" size? at what age? from what populations? with what genetic variation for growth? at what type of plasticity? all those factor in and don't even begin to get into captivity issues...you think a whale shark in captivity is going to reach 50'? public aquariums face these same issues too--
--solomon
Very true.

And GA shouldn't have whale sharks in such a small tank IMO LOL.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Nuventure48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2021
Hey all.

I know the stickies states that their max captive size is at 36" - 48".
However some are saying they will get to 5' or even 6' in captivity.
So which is which?

Would be nice for some experienced guys or informative guys around here to state their views and max size in captivity.

Also would be nice for people with Alligator Gars to share the age and size of their gator gars and the tank size they are kept in.

Thanks =)
Hey all.

I know the stickies states that their max captive size is at 36" - 48".
However some are saying they will get to 5' or even 6' in captivity.
So which is which?

Would be nice for some experienced guys or informative guys around here to state their views and max size in captivity.

Also would be nice for people with Alligator Gars to share the age and size of their gator gars and the tank size they are kept in.

Thanks =)
I got my alligator gar when he (or she) was 6 inches. The gar is now 3 feet long 3 years later and almost as thick as the fat end of a base ball bat. He is kept in a 900 gallon tub from tractor supply with a pool sand filter and a fluval canister filter. He is just about dog tame and likes to have his back scratched! Growth has slowed down quite a bit, he eats frozen thawed mice, quail, and fish. My son named him Gary, Gary the Gar! Very interesting fish to own, air breathing, meat eating family member!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store