maximum percent of water change?

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
I have two 420 gallon tanks that I change 75% of water every week plus I have a drip system that changes 200 gallons every day and use pond prime every day to treat new water.I have a bead filter on each tank,plus vacuum tanks every two weeks. I think one its very important to get rid of the organic waste as well as the water changes,because the organic material is what really effects water quality.If your not using pond prime I suggest you look into it its more concentrated than regular prime and will save you money.
Unless you're massively overstocked, why are you doing weekly water changes with a drip system in place. I'm assuming both tanks are connected to the drip system, giving you 100 gallons a day per tank. 100 gallons a day is just short of a weekly 200% water change. This just seems way over the top.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
80%

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Amazon River discharges about 7,381,000 cuft of water per second, and there are about 7.5 gallons of water in 1 cubic ft.
If you have any Amazon River fish, do you really think you could do too many water changes.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
I do 40-60% wc on both of my tanks 3 times a week because of stocking levels, recent substrate changes, and filter cleaning. Plus it helps with growth; I'm trying to grow some monster goldfish and keeping their water very clean is beneficial. I've done a couple 90% changes when I forget the water is draining :( but everyone came out fine. As long as you are putting water back in that is similar in temp, hardness, etc it shouldn't really stress your fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
I do 40-60% wc on both of my tanks 3 times a week because of stocking levels, recent substrate changes, and filter cleaning. Plus it helps with growth; I'm trying to grow some monster goldfish and keeping their water very clean is beneficial. I've done a couple 90% changes when I forget the water is draining :( but everyone came out fine. As long as you are putting water back in that is similar in temp, hardness, etc it shouldn't really stress your fish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thank you! :thumbsup:

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Honestly you can do 100% water changes and your fish will be fine. I always drain the water down to the point the fish can still swim comfortably. I note, this as it depends on the current water parameters of the tank. But if the water you are adding is the same ph and temp then you'll be fine.

If the tank hasn't had a water change in over a month then your nitrates are probably through the roof. If you do a 90% water change your fish will probably go in to shock from the actual act of the water change and also the parameters but the main shock comes from the act of doing the w/c. Fish adjust to nitrate levels over a period of roughly two weeks but it stresses them out which leads to a lower immune system which leads to illness that causes the death. But if you regularly do water changes and increase the amount over a time period then theres no foul play to the BB or the fish. As you do 20% one week you bump it to 30% the next and so on.

But research the types of fish you have and dont just take my advice as fish like rays will most likely die as they are really sensitive to ph levels which need to be accommodated to appropriate levels as most people use city water which is very hard. But in general w/c as much and as often you would like too, but dont do a 90% water change on a tank that hasnt had w/c's regularly.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Honestly you can do 100% water changes and your fish will be fine. I always drain the water down to the point the fish can still swim comfortably. I note, this as it depends on the current water parameters of the tank. But if the water you are adding is the same ph and temp then you'll be fine.

If the tank hasn't had a water change in over a month then your nitrates are probably through the roof. If you do a 90% water change your fish will probably go in to shock from the actual act of the water change and also the parameters but the main shock comes from the act of doing the w/c. Fish adjust to nitrate levels over a period of roughly two weeks but it stresses them out which leads to a lower immune system which leads to illness that causes the death. But if you regularly do water changes and increase the amount over a time period then theres no foul play to the BB or the fish. As you do 20% one week you bump it to 30% the next and so on.

But research the types of fish you have and dont just take my advice as fish like rays will most likely die as they are really sensitive to ph levels which need to be accommodated to appropriate levels as most people use city water which is very hard. But in general w/c as much and as often you would like too, but dont do a 90% water change on a tank that hasnt had w/c's regularly.
i see. thanks for the great idea :headbang2

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I do 90% on days that I feed my fish, on days that I don't feed them I do not do one. If I feed them everyday, they'll be getting a 90% change daily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store