May '09 - Hey Bartender!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
bigspizz;3174634; said:
I will keep going if I am getting any right, but some of these are just like drinks I make, and the build is critical...If I am pretty close, I'll keep going....
Chug spizz chug!
You're doing great!

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
bigguapote;3172590; said:
Or perhaps call it “I’ll have what she’s having.”

You’ve got to admit, Meg Ryan was embarrassingly convincing.
Yess. Yes. YES! She was messing up her hair and pounding on the table while Billy Crystal sat opposite her at the booth in a diner. He smugly watched while she faked the big O.
Nope. This has nothing to do with ‘When Harry Met Sally.’

The subject of this month’s contest could be called ‘What a good bartender ought to know.’

Aside from playing part time therapist, it’s always helpful to know how to make any drink the customer throws your way. If you know a little libation trivia, that’s all the better to keep your customers talking and drinking.

Below I will list the ingredients for 20 drinks a bartender ought to know. Yeah, listing the name of the drink and asking for the ingredients would be way too easy using search engines!
I will also include a few libation trivia questions to separate the drink mixers from the educated bartenders.

It’s much more fun when all participants (and all you lurkers too) post comments and answers right here at the thread. So instead of having answers emailed directly to me, please post your best guesses right here.

I realize the potential to copy answers and cheating is high. So if you want to throw some folks off, go ahead and sound like you know all the answers by replying with all incorrect answers. I don’t mind at all. Serves ‘em right I say.

If you are seriously playing to win and really don’t want to post your answers publically, you can certainly email me directly at bigguapote1@verizon.net .
I'd be glad to post the winning submissions here after the cut off.

I will be looking for the most correct answers from the top two contestants. If it comes down to it, an earlier submission will trump the later.

First prize is worth $50.00 in TUIC credit, second price is worth $25.00

The cut off for answer submissions is at 3 AM EST on Sunday the 7th. That’s midnight on Saturday for all you left coasters.

Have fun. Experiment often. Play responsibly.

What are the names of the drinks that contain the following ingredients?

1) 2 oz white rum, 2 drops of bitter, ½ lime, 5-6 mint leaves, 2 tsp white granulated sugar, 5 oz club soda, crushed ice

2) 3 oz lemon vodka, splash of lime juice, splash of cointreau or triple sec, splash of cranberry juice, ice

3) ½ oz tequila, ½ oz galliano, 3 oz orange juice, crushed ice

4) ½ oz Baileys, ½ oz chambord, ice

5) 1 oz Baileys, 1 oz kahlua, 1 oz half and half cream

6) 1 oz vodka, 1 oz crème de cacao, 1 oz Baileys, 1 tbsp chocolate syrup, ice cubes

7) 1 oz citrus vodka (preferred), ½ oz cointreau, 3 oz pomegranate juice, lemon wedge, chopped ice

8) 1/3 oz vodka, 1/3 oz midori, 1 oz cranberry juice, ½ oz orange juice

9) ¾ oz Baileys, ¼ oz lime juice, splash of vodka

10) 3 oz gin, 1 tbsp white granulated sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, club soda, 2 mint sprigs

11) 2 oz gin, ¼ oz dry vermouth, ¼ oz olive brine, 1 green olive, lemon wedge

12) 1 ½ oz vodka, ½ oz gallianio, 4 oz orange juice, ice cubes

13) ¾ oz kahlua, ¾ oz amaretto in a shot glass rimmed with whipped cream

14) 1 ½ oz rum, ½ oz kahlua, black coffee, whipped cream (optional)

15) ¾ oz light rum, ¾ oz dark rum, ¾ oz gold rum, 1 oz lemon juice, ice

16) 1 ½ oz brandy, ¾ oz white crème de menthe, ice

Sounds close to a brandy seperator?

17) ¼ oz sweet vermouth, 1 ½ oz scotch, ice

Rusty nail?

18) 1 ½ oz white rum, ½ oz dark rum, dash of grenadine syrup, 3 oz pineapple juice, ice, pineapple wedge, cherry

Hurricane?
19) 1 ½ oz vanilla vodka, ½ oz chambord, splash of pineapple juice

????
20) 2 oz cachaca, 2 tbsp white granulated sugar, 1 lime, crushed ice

???
A) What is made from fermented and distilled sugar cane

by products such as molasses and sugar cane juice?

Rum?

B) Then what is made from distilled sugar cane juice?

Simple syrup?

C) The official drink of Brazil is called what?

???

D) What’s in the bottle containing honey and water fermented with yeast?

Hard cider?

E) What do you get when you mix lemon rinds, alcohol, water, and sugar?

Gin?

F) A spirit made from distilled grapes is called what?

Brandy? Cognac?
For the love of beer, or for beer lovers

G) What is the local name of the 1516 Bavarian Purity Law states that beer may contain only water, hops, malt, and yeast?

????
H) Oops – exception to the law. What is the name of the cloudy German beer that uses wheat as an ingredient?

Heffe

I) What is the sweet and nutritious stout called that is brewed with lactose?
It was outlawed in the UK due to its misleading name.

????
J) What is the name of a light and fruity Belgian style ale that uses stale hops and wild yeast?

Belgian white ale? Or a blonde ale?

Now’s the time to wine

K) What is the science, production, and study of grapes called?

L) Miles and Maya are big fans of the varietal made from this grape.

M) The most widely planted grape in Argentina is what?

N) What is a deep violet colored varietal – the only grape used to make famous Rhone wines of Cote Rotie and Hermitage?

Remember, you’ve got to drink responsibly

O) A 190 lb male consumes 4 beers evenly over 4 hours. What’s his blood alcohol content? Does that register as DUI or DWI in most states?

Less then .08 in my book...No DUI here....

P) A 135 lb female consumes 4 beers evenly over 4 hours. What’s her blood alcohol content? Does that register as DUI or DWI in most states?

1.0 is my guess, and she needs do dry up.

This is the best I could do....You make me feel like a rookie again.:D

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Great job again and thanks to everyone who participated.

Even if you didn't submit answers, I hope that this was at least somewhat entertaining.
Perhaps the art of mixology sounds like something you'd like to try your hands at.

In studying the cultural history of any society since antiquity, one cannot help but find references to their local sources of hooch. Many fermentation practices, like so many other scientific discoveries, were stumbled upon (pun intended) accidentally. I find it all very interesting.

I am not advocating the consumption of alcoholic beverages in any way, shape, or form!
Take note that I included references to drinking and driving in the final two questions of the contest. Not only is this of utmost importance to each and every person who comsumes an alcoholic beverage and plans to drive, but bartenders really do need to watch out for their patrons.

The guy who's buying and consuming many drinks one night may give the host or establishment great business, but what good is it if that becomes his last night out?

Please always drink responsibly.

The amazing drinking squirrel's partner in crime, L. Belcher, nailed this months contest. Congrats on your $ 50.00 worth of TUIC credit towards a fish order!
A copy of his answers is plastered ;) below.

Bigspizz is this month's runner up. Congrats on your $ 25.00 credit as well!

What are the names of the drinks that contain the following ingredients?

1) 2 oz white rum, 2 drops of bitter, ½ lime, 5-6 mint leaves, 2 tsp white granulated sugar, 5 oz club soda, crushed ice

Mojito

2) 3 oz lemon vodka, splash of lime juice, splash of cointreau or triple sec, splash of cranberry juice, ice

Cosmopolitan

3) ½ oz tequila, ½ oz galliano, 3 oz orange juice, crushed ice

Freddy Fuddpucker

4) ½ oz Baileys, ½ oz chambord, ice

Wet Pussy-sorry, but this is a Nutty Irishman. You'd need milk in there to make a WP.

5) 1 oz Baileys, 1 oz kahlua, 1 oz half and half cream

Mud Slide

6) 1 oz vodka, 1 oz crème de cacao, 1 oz Baileys, 1 tbsp chocolate syrup, ice cubes

Orgasm-sorry, it's a Chocolate Martini. The big O needs triple sec and amaretto. Incidentally, there are dozens of variations to the Orgasm drink recipes.

7) 1 oz citrus vodka (preferred), ½ oz cointreau, 3 oz pomegranate juice, lemon wedge, chopped ice

Pomegranate Martini

8) 1/3 oz vodka, 1/3 oz midori, 1 oz cranberry juice, ½ oz orange juice

Sex on the Beach

9) ¾ oz Baileys, ¼ oz lime juice, splash of vodka

Cement Mixer

10) 3 oz gin, 1 tbsp white granulated sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, club soda, 2 mint sprigs

Mint Julip-sorry, this is an Alabama Slammer. You'd use borboun instead of gin for a Mint Julep.

11) 2 oz gin, ¼ oz dry vermouth, ¼ oz olive brine, 1 green olive, lemon wedge

Dirty Martini

12) 1 ½ oz vodka, ½ oz gallianio, 4 oz orange juice, ice cubes

Harvey Wallbanger

13) ¾ oz kahlua, ¾ oz amaretto in a shot glass rimmed with whipped cream

BJ

14) 1 ½ oz rum, ½ oz kahlua, black coffee, whipped cream (optional)

Jamaican Coffee

15) ¾ oz light rum, ¾ oz dark rum, ¾ oz gold rum, 1 oz lemon juice, ice

Zombie

16) 1 ½ oz brandy, ¾ oz white crème de menthe, ice

Stinger

17) ¼ oz sweet vermouth, 1 ½ oz scotch, ice

Rob Roy

18) 1 ½ oz white rum, ½ oz dark rum, dash of grenadine syrup, 3 oz pineapple juice, ice, pineapple wedge, cherry

Mai Tai

19) 1 ½ oz vanilla vodka, ½ oz chambord, splash of pineapple juice

Haleakala Martini - yes! also known as a French Kiss by some

20) 2 oz cachaca, 2 tbsp white granulated sugar, 1 lime, crushed ice

Caiperenia yes! My lovely wife is Brazilian, so I can't help but spell this one - caipirinha. yummm

A) What is made from fermented and distilled sugar cane by products such as molasses and sugar cane juice?

Rum

B) Then what is made from distilled sugar cane juice?

Cachaca

C) The official drink of Brazil is called what?

caiperenia caipirinha

D) What’s in the bottle containing honey and water fermented with yeast?

mead

E) What do you get when you mix lemon rinds, alcohol, water, and sugar?

Limoncello

F) A spirit made from distilled grapes is called what?

Grappa - you got me there. Grappa is a correct answer Larry. It's made using grape juice and pomace (grape remains like pulp, skins, stems, and seeds). I was looking for pisco (an age old drink known well in Chile, Peru, and Bolivia), in which the pomace is not used.

For the love of beer, or for beer lovers

G) What is the local name of the 1516 Bavarian Purity Law states that beer may contain only water, hops, malt, and yeast?

Reinheitsgebot

H) Oops – exception to the law. What is the name of the cloudy German beer that uses wheat as an ingredient?

hefeweizen

I) What is the sweet and nutritious stout called that is brewed with lactose?
It was outlawed in the UK due to its misleading name.

Milk or Sweet Stout

J) What is the name of a light and fruity Belgian style ale that uses stale hops and wild yeast?

IPA-sorry, but it's Lambic. India Pale Ale was a great guess though.

Now’s the time to wine

K) What is the science, production, and study of grapes called?

Viticulture

L) Miles and Maya are big fans of the varietal made from this grape.

Pinot Noir-yes! Anyone else recall that sorry character, Miles, and the woman he was courting in the movie 'Sideways'?

M) The most widely planted grape in Argentina is what?

Malbec-sorry. Based on what we see available in the US market, I would say the same! But it's the Bonarda grape.
If you like bold reds, the Bonarda wines are not easy to find locally, but very worth the search.

N) What is a deep violet colored varietal – the only grape used to make famous and Hermitage?

Syrah

Remember, you’ve got to drink responsibly

O) A 190 lb male consumes 4 beers evenly over 4 hours. What’s his blood alcohol content? Does that register as DUI or DWI in most states?

.07 NO DUI

P) A 135 lb female consumes 4 beers evenly over 4 hours. What’s her blood alcohol content? Does that register as DUI or DWI in most states?

P) .11 Yes DUI

Great. You know that using several blood alcohol content calculators available on the internet will give you varying results.

These are very good references for anyone who may partake in a drink or two away from home.

Please check them out and enlighten yourself!

It may help you make a decision that could be the difference between continuing to keep your driving priveleges or the embarrassing, costly legal procedures associated with drunk driving.

Here are some examples

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Thank you Jeff, I was just telling my wife I need a Haitensis! Now I have to get one...;)

Usually when I get a tough drink, I look it up with a quick process we have. Kind of like storing phone numbers in a cell phone, I rarely actually know anyones phone number. Thanks for the fun game, I enjoyed playing, and I do not mind the public humiliation of possibly posting wrong answers, just like this site, it is just for fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store