Mbu not growing

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
A mini mbu. Definitely a stunting thing. Read through this thread and watched your updates and date changes. With that much time He definitely seems to me that stunting had to Have taken place. As long as he's happy, and healthy, besides the size you have a beautiful fish. A mini mbu is pretty cool actually. How big total do You think he is now? Very pretty fish.

Kevin_Eleven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm the original owner of the Mbu that he bought. Honestly, for some reason that Mbu Puffer is not growing when I used to own it as well. I had him when he was about 2" in the 60 gallon tank with a flagtail and I STRONGLY believed that I did not stunted his growth at that size in the tank. In my opinion I think your Mbu is a long tail Mbu with a short body because right now I have a Mbu at 5" and her tail is no where near as long at your Mbu and her body is pretty long.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I'm the original owner of the Mbu that he bought. Honestly, for some reason that Mbu Puffer is not growing when I used to own it as well. I had him when he was about 2" in the 60 gallon tank with a flagtail and I STRONGLY believed that I did not stunted his growth at that size in the tank. In my opinion I think your Mbu is a long tail Mbu with a short body because right now I have a Mbu at 5" and her tail is no where near as long at your Mbu and her body is pretty long.
Hi Kevin,
It's really no big deal. Perhaps it was stunted before you got it? I have had "Big Al" for almost 2 years now and he is probably still only 5" long. Currently, he is in a 300g fiberglass tank with his buds from the old 175g and awaiting delivery of his 480g! Glad to see you have returned to the hobby!

Kevin_Eleven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2012
San Diego, CA
In all honest, I'm curious to find out if there is a variation in Mbu. I saw a couple full grown with a very long tail while some other have extremely long body length but the tail are quite short.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
In all honest, I'm curious to find out if there is a variation in Mbu. I saw a couple full grown with a very long tail while some other have extremely long body length but the tail are quite short.
+1

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Maybe it was stunted before you even you got it? i mean honestly, i'm not sure how well puffers are kept before they are even shipped out to the stores let alone when they reach the store...

So maybe its just down to the way they are kept when they are first collected, since MBU's like Fahakas grow like weeds the first year or so and then slow down tremendously... so maybe its during their first few months of life when they are collected and possibly placed into cramped spaces with a bunch of other MBU's or Fahakas causing the stunting to occur...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store