Mbu puffer with amazon puffers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Freezing will not destroy all micro-organisms, neither does freeze drying, so there is still some risk involved in feeding these products, but freezing certainly minimizes those risks. The key is freeze for 48 hrs at 0F (-18C)

Reactions: twentyleagues

boomerk9

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Another option I have is raw frozen New Zealand greenlip mussels. They are meatier than the Chilean mussels and uncooked of course. About twice the price though.

boomerk9

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, I might feed it soft foods at a 3:1 ratio to hard ones. I have plenty of soft foods at a very economical cost that I feed to my arapaima, alligator gar and arowana but hard foods will be probably be more costly.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
It started with an old timer (RTR) that posted on the puffer forum, a conclusion that he made after killing the mbu that he owned, and kept in a 180 gallon. Pufferpunk spent most of her time promoting his mind think. I disagreed back then, and still do.

and more here .......

Just read over that 2nd link...interesting though I must say I'm kinda surprised -- I recently heard there was no bickering in the 'good old days' -- lol.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just read over that 2nd link...interesting though I must say I'm kinda surprised -- I recently heard there was no bickering in the 'good old days' -- lol.
The puffer section back then used to be a lot more active and had its share of heated arguments among members...

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
I feed twice a day with massivore mainly and alternate between shrimp tilapia and mussels. I buy fresh new New Zealand also and freeze. I have also always wondered if you freeze a saltwater item that did have parasites and the temp didnt kill them , will being in freshwater at the end kill the remaining parasites that were saltwater origin?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most parasites found in SW will not have a negative impact on freshwater fish. At least that has always been my understanding. I've also never heard of anyone's fish getting parasites from food that has been properly frozen. If they did it would probably be from a high risk item, such a fish, crayfish etc collected in a local waterway. In that scenario the potential for toxins from pollution would probably be just as great as parasites, if not more.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Agree with RD, always heard feeding SW to FW fish is pretty safe... Rather its been more the external pollutants that one needs to be worried about...

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store