Mbuna Hardscape For 75 Gallon

RTCfan86

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Hello, I’m converting my 75 gallon Tanganyikan tank to an Mbuna tank and am hoping to get some opinions from the experts if I need to alter my existing rock scape or not. Im also curious on the amount of Mbuna I can have. I’ve been researching and see most suggestions of anywhere from 12 - 20. Any input is appreciated.

IMG_9518.jpeg

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I would add a few more rocks to give it a little more height. As for stocking, number of species will depend on which you are interested in. Less aggressive species can have as few as 4 females for each male, while more aggressive species are usually kept with as many as 7 females for each male. 20 fish is a good number.

Are there any species that you are interested in?

RTCfan86

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I would add a few more rocks to give it a little more height. As for stocking, number of species will depend on which you are interested in. Less aggressive species can have as few as 4 females for each male, while more aggressive species are usually kept with as many as 7 females for each male. 20 fish is a good number.

Are there any species that you are interested in?
Thank you, I will add some height. I still have to learn all the names, but I really like some of the metriaclima I’ve been seeing, or different types of zebras. Not going for just a single type, as I’d like somewhat of an array of colors.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would avoid mbuna if you are doing a tank with lots of variety, i.e. an all male tank. Do haps and peacocks instead. Then you will want fewer rocks.

Reactions: tlindsey

RTCfan86

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I would avoid mbuna if you are doing a tank with lots of variety, i.e. an all male tank. Do haps and peacocks instead. Then you will want fewer rocks.
Most female Mbuna from what I understand are also very colorful…sometimes as colorful as the males. I planned to have a mix of both, probably heavier on the female side.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
To stock a mixed gender tank you would want 1 male along with 4 females for each species. True that many mbuna females are as colorful as the males but not all. So...

Suggested stocking:
1m:4f Labidochromis caeruleus
1m:4f Pseudotropheus acei
1m:4f Iodotropheus sprengerae
1m:4f Cynotilapia zebroides cobue

FYI when stocking an African cichlid tank, you would not want more than one group of Metriaclima (a.k.a. zebras) to prevent crossbreeding and fighting.

RTCfan86

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
To stock a mixed gender tank you would want 1 male along with 4 females for each species. True that many mbuna females are as colorful as the males but not all. So...

Suggested stocking:

FYI when stocking an African cichlid tank, you would not want more than one group of Metriaclima (a.k.a. zebras) to prevent crossbreeding and fighting.
Thank you for the suggestions!

RTCfan86

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI

Suggested stocking:

Would there be fighting if the different groups of Metriaclima don’t look alike? For example, red/orange, white, striped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store