Meanest most aggressive fish for a 75

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I was going to suggest getting a wild caught of whatever type of cichlid you pick. Their aggression level is higher making them more interactive. Now sure if that's the case with all wc, but mine sure is!
Interesting, I have had the opposite experience when it comes to owner interaction. I have found wildcaught fish have more of their natural insticts intact, which are to hide from potential predators such as people. If you get the fish at a small size and grow them out it probably does not matter, as they live in aquaria for most of their life. But I have found larger wild-caught fish are usually more skittish than CB or tankraised individuals.

Parachromis managuense, but it would be pushing it, but he'd have to be the only fish.

View attachment 1275715
Managuense, especially a male, will definitely get too large for a 75 gallon. I would recommend smaller parachromis species such as loisellei for this tank size.

Not trying to contradict anybody, just putting my .02 in

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Why would you suggest a Jag for a 75 gallon ? That's a remarkably bad suggestion, no offense. Lungfish too.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

Interesting, I have had the opposite experience when it comes to owner interaction. I have found wildcaught fish have more of their natural insticts intact, which are to hide from potential predators such as people. If you get the fish at a small size and grow them out it probably does not matter, as they live in aquaria for most of their life. But I have found larger wild-caught fish are usually more skittish than CB or tankraised individuals.

Managuense, especially a male, will definitely get too large for a 75 gallon. I would recommend smaller parachromis species such as loisellei for this tank size.

Not trying to contradict anybody, just putting my .02 in
If the Jaguar cichlid was the only fish in the 75 gallon aquarium, it would be ok for a long time.
But, your reccomendation for Parachromis Loisellei is a great one, more gorgeous too.

Why would you suggest a Jag for a 75 gallon ? That's a remarkably bad suggestion, no offense. Lungfish too.
I just thought that, Jaguars have intense coloration, I suppose with overfilteration and water changes, it could work. Most jaguars I've seen top out at 12-14'' the most.
But, Loisellei is a good replacement.
While Lungfish do get huge, there growth rate is extremely SLOW! REAL Slow!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017

I could see adults being more skidish, but mine was still fry size. Only 2" so he has been in a tank for all but 2-3months of his life if that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store