Medicating Australian Lungfish

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
Australian Lungfish (AULs) are extremely hardy fish.
Even in the wild, when water quality in certin areas are poor, AULs adapt to these situations by breathing through their single lung instead of their gills, allowing them to thrive in ares where water quality is less than optimal.
Being that these animals are becoming increasingly popular in the fish hobby, it is inevitable that hobbyist's AULs will encounter times of trauma (from other tank mates or tank decor) or some type of skin ailment.
Through the advice of Gordon Hides (the ONLY legal AUL breeder in the world),
I have successfully medicated my AUL more than once with great results and hope this method works for everyone.

MEDICATED BATHS
-Melefix & Pimafix for 20 min. a day for 5-7 Days
(Do not let your AUL sit in a medicated tank, take them out, put them in a separate container while medicating for the above time along with an airstone and be careful not to let them jump out).
-Stress Coat by API
(this is the perfect water conditioner for your AUL because it contains Aloe Vera which is very beneficial to your AUL's extra thick slime coat and aids in the healing process).
-DO NOT Use Aquarium Salt!
(Although it is popular to use salt on a regular basis with tropical fish and even more so with sick fish, for AULs, too much salt could be detrimental, and use of salt is discouraged by the breeder).

Finally, I would like to state that this treatment regiment is not a super miracle cure, nor is it the only way to treat these animals;
I am merely sharing what has worked well for me through the advice of the breeder, and hope that this information helps other hobbyist's AULs live long healthy lives.:)

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
thefishguy7;2559475; said:
Nice write up Dan!
Any advice for more serious ailments?
Sorry, I haven't had any other problems with my AUL except for superficial trauma, so, I still have a lot to learn.

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
Update:
Used Praziquantal for 3 wks.
I believe I had a problem with Flukes with my other fish and needed to be thorough in eradicating them. so, just like with other fish, Praziquantal is safe with Australian Lungfish.

Reactions: carcinoma

Riv D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
Kaohsiung
arapaimag;2869006; said:
Only had mine 3 years. 28" 225 gal tank and no problems yet.

How long have you kept yours? What size is it? What size tank? and what tankmates?

thank you
I've had mine 9 mos. lol.
Got him when he was about 6",
he's now over 18".
He's currently in a 210 gal.
I've had him with manny tank mates already.
He's been attacked by a RTGG and a Gibbiceps Pleco;scratched himself badly a couple times on driftwood, and on the lid on a rubbermaid container when being acclimated into another tank because my cat decided to jump on top causing the lid to fall and my AUL to jump in the air!
So he's been through a lot in a short period of time.
He dosen't like light colored gravel or large, active fish; it stresses him out and he hides more than comes out.
If the fish are large they should be slow and friendly,.
If active, they should be small.
I've even noticed a difference in his posture which seems (to me) indicative of good water quality and that he's content in which he arches upward.
He is alway in this pose after I'm done doing a water change.
I am currently in the process of clearing out his larger more active tank mates for the reasons stated above and may possibly replace them with a small school of Goyder River Rainbow fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store