Meet Tina the Terror! (GTC)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
If still small, it could work. Just make sure you have places she can fit and not him. To get a bit of peace time away from him. Cichlids take a go or few to get it down right. So don't expect sellable fry the first go.
75 is a better than a 55 to try this in due to it's 18in width rather than 12. But I wouldn't try if the fish are bigger than 8in. Getting to big for amount of space available.

When I got mine she was bigger around 4.5in and in a tank with male's. So probably made the eggs when with them. She would drop like 10, eat them over and over till all were gone.

Reactions: NotReallyCatfishGuy

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
If still small, it could work. Just make sure you have places she can fit and not him. To get a bit of peace time away from him. Cichlids take a go or few to get it down right. So don't expect sellable fry the first go.
75 is a better than a 55 to try this in due to it's 18in width rather than 12. But I wouldn't try if the fish are bigger than 8in. Getting to big for amount of space available.

When I got mine she was bigger around 4.5in and in a tank with male's. So probably made the eggs when with them. She would drop like 10, eat them over and over till all were gone.
I heard they grow 1" every 3-4 months, so with that slow growth rate I think I can squeeze a few spawns in so they can get the hang of it. I'll talk a bit with my lfs about GTs and if they're willing to give some credit beforehand.

I think I'll be able to breed them up until the male or female gets 7" going on 8", the male will be bought as a very small juvenile (2-3"), so my female will defo be bigger.

After they get too big to spawn in that 75, if I don't have a bigger tank, I'll try to keep them both. The female does have a lot of significance (from a friend that works at petco, it would be rude to get rid of his former pet.) but at the point where I can't breed them in a 75 I'll be attached to both male and female.

In summary, they'll get a 75 each, but they'll breed in either's tank.

In the end I will want a male GT though. No doubt.

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
Hey everyone! Just got my internet back for sure. Here's a collection of a few pics of Tina I took over my forced 'hiatus'. Oh and also, I got a striped raphael cat, he will be with Tina in the final tank. defo gonna be a 75. The last 2 are my favs. Still not gonna replace the crawdad in my pfp though.
IMG_8747.JPG IMG_8748.JPG IMG_8749.JPG IMG_8750.JPG IMG_8751.JPG IMG_8752.JPG IMG_8753.JPG

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
I finally found the camera!! Once I got evrything into the new house I had the tank with the anacharis and the one anubias afzelii in the perfect places! Until Tina showed me why they call her type 'terrors'. She even moved the pleco cave like it was a tissue! Look at her mess!
IMG_8832.JPG
Here's our star, an aquascaper's worst nightmare, Tina! Ft. one of her bristlenose roomates, George, she's been beating him and the others up a bit:
IMG_8821.JPG IMG_8822.JPG IMG_8823.JPG IMG_8824.JPG IMG_8825.JPG IMG_8826.JPG IMG_8827.JPG IMG_8828.JPG IMG_8829.JPG

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
It seems she likes the cover the uprooted plants give, see if maybe you can find a surface floating plant. May stop her from ripping up the others. See how she is hiding in the mess of roots and such.

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
It seems she likes the cover the uprooted plants give, see if maybe you can find a surface floating plant. May stop her from ripping up the others. See how she is hiding in the mess of roots and such.
On my next trip to the lfs I'll pick up either hornwort, duckweed, or water lettuce. If the duckweed gets to be too much, I'll add the excess into other tanks until they're all full (I'll do that straw thing that leaves room for feeding). If I get to the point where my tanks get full on the surface, I'll put all of the duckweed into a small container with old tank water and I'll leave it out or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store