Mega Monster Dovii

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Twhittle...... I don't believe your fish is an inch over 14 inches....... KIDDING! Good picture! How did the ammonia spike occur? Did he kill off a female and pollute his tank? That wouldn't be the first time that happened!

Spizz, to your point.... It's funny, there are big dovii and umbee from both situations, big and not so big tanks. If someone is willing to change water a couple of times a week his options are more varied. Aquaculture studies show that it is POSSIBLE to grow many types of fish in small environments provided the water is pristine. Doing that with such a large animal can be very difficult. The mass of a 12" fish alone is pretty significant.

Large tanks offer waste dilution benefits, so water changing isn't quite as pressing (but it is interesting to note that Mel Omeara indicated he changes water twice a week in his 600!).

Reagan and I were talking today about something that I've heard both Mo and Chris P (Cichlidscene) mention. The larger cichlids really seem to need better and better conditions as they grow, and it just becomes much harder to do so as their mass increases exponentially. Umbees in particular seem to need truly pristine water or they begin to succumb to a variety of nagging illnesses which eventually lead to their deaths. When you have a fish that weighs several pounds, creates a huge amount of waste (both solid and from respiration) and (in the case of umbees and Pbass in particular) are pursuit predators needing room to stretch out it can be tough to give them what they need.

Another thing Reagan and I have both seen is the behavior changes in dovii when in a very large tank or pond vs. a smallish tank. For instance, Reagan mentioned he sees a big change in his monster dovii when he tanks him from time to time for breeding. I know I've never seen a more vibrant dovii than my last big guy (who is now at a friends house in Richmond). He spent his last summer in a 1500 gallon pond and was a completely different fish after just a few months.

Interesting topic.....

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
In April I will have had my dovi one year, he was sold to me as an F2 Nic "Yes, I've got 5 in stock, 2-2.5" $10 each.They are thick and healthy." I think I will get him out and measure him. He has turned out to be big, blue, and thick. I got him from Ken.

I would estimate him at 12 to 14 inches, I might be off an inch or two.

Come April we will see.

zuz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
IN
wow those r some awsome fish very awsome!! wat do u feed them?

all_or_nothin

Eastern Painted Turtle
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
IN
doviis r one of my fav fish there aggresion,looks,size,power,and teeth make them unstopable!!!!! unless a huge umbee comes then there is gonna be a pretty bad fight goin on

professa19

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
these are some amazing dovii everyones posting...love them

Para C

Feeder Fish
Jan 5, 2009
New york
awesome fish even the umbee in that pic. i got a guy he's like 6 inches now has some nice color. very picky eater though!! anyone have suggestions. feeding beefheart,some nice krill and earthworms. many years ago i knew a guy who had a 22 inch dude that ate grapes????? go figure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store