Melanochromis auratus with Julidochromis marlieri

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I picked up a single M.auratus juvenile today on a whim. Any chance I could keep it in a single tank with 3 J. marlieri juveniles? I know M.auratus can get aggressive when they're mating but what about a single individual? The tank is 20 gallons but I can move them to a 50 gallon in a couple of months if they can co-exist as adults.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
If its a female it may work. But even then, they tend to go nuts after they hit the 2.5-3" mark

Reactions: Gourami Swami

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The auratus will eventually take over and probably kill everyone else. Even the females are super aggressive. The 50 gallon probably wouldn't help much.

Reactions: tlindsey

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the info everyone. Pity it's so aggressive. Such a pretty little guy. But that's why you shouldn't buy fish on a whim...

Either I return him to the store or the other option is putting him in my polypterus tank. I've seen other cichlids kept with polys but how will this aggressive guy do? This would be a 30 gallon tank with 3 juvenile polys (10-15 cm in length) and 1 Siamese algae eater.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well, a 30 gallon won't be a good home for the bichirs long term, they will need something larger. I have had success keeping bichirs with CA/SA cichlids, but not sure how an auratus would do tbh. The auratus is long and slender, could see it becoming a snack if the bichirs get a little size. I have had bichirs eat slender fish that I thought would be too large. And conversely, if the bichirs are small noodles, the auratus could probably kill them if it wanted (and killing seems to be an auratus' favorite hobby)
On the other hand, I have found cichlids usually ignore bichirs, so perhaps it would be fine. Could try it and keep a close eye on them.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I plan to move the polys to a 80-90 gallon once they get a bit bigger. Yes, I think I better not put the cichlid in their tank after all. They're definitely big enough to swallow him if they really tried.

I bought two panther crabs today. (Clearly haven't learnt my lesson not to buy fish on a whim, lol.) The auratus is definitely aggressive enough to be kept with them no?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Until the crabs molt or they catch the auratus sleeping on the bottom.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Everybody got through the first night alright. But I'll be returning the auratus. I can't give it a tank of its own. I decided to house the crabs with my danios. I don't mind if the crabs get a nice snack once in a while.

The bigger problem will be keeping the crabs alive. The two sites that happened to come up first when I googled them in the store were seller sites and claimed you could keep multiple individuals in the same tank. That's the only reason I thought I could safely buy two. Thank goodness I didn't get three! Turns out they're best kept individually and are rather difficult to keep alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store