Memorial Pond

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I dropped the netting back in the pond a couple days ago. This morning we have spawning again. The same two are the main ones going at it. My other ryukin is trying to get attention, poor girl is so fat. But my male moor isn’t that interested in her. The koi are all over eating the eggs so again I can’t tell if any of them are getting in on the action. One male koi did look like he was nudging my female bekko, but didn’t keep it up for long.

The herd
467939A9-849F-4755-BC85-33C44136C7FC.jpeg CAD4C9A2-2F10-476C-B020-38D58F619741.jpeg
EggsBABED7B6-1150-406F-8705-78A973118506.jpeg

And a little bonus. One of my favorite babies so far.
0B7F25E1-E8B7-494F-9888-E41362AF1712.jpeg
I haven’t measured it, it might be around an inch or a little under. I’m excited to see a pattern starting to form. We will see how much it changes as it grows:)

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I dropped the netting back in the pond a couple days ago. This morning we have spawning again. The same two are the main ones going at it. My other ryukin is trying to get attention, poor girl is so fat. But my male moor isn’t that interested in her. The koi are all over eating the eggs so again I can’t tell if any of them are getting in on the action. One male koi did look like he was nudging my female bekko, but didn’t keep it up for long.

The herd
View attachment 1325402 View attachment 1325403
EggsView attachment 1325401

And a little bonus. One of my favorite babies so far.
View attachment 1325404
I haven’t measured it, it might be around an inch or a little under. I’m excited to see a pattern starting to form. We will see how much it changes as it grows:)
Let's see looks like yellows gonna develop on back, gonna be lots of gray or black on head, with some going down back (a nice feature, may also develop color near hills, don't expect background colors to be great, but could easily top your other Lois colors as an adult (fingers crossed)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Let's see looks like yellows gonna develop on back, gonna be lots of gray or black on head, with some going down back (a nice feature, may also develop color near hills, don't expect background colors to be great, but could easily top your other Lois colors as an adult (fingers crossed)
I’m hoping the yellow develops and holds. I think I know the parents of this one. I really wish I would have sold my petsmart male this spring. He is not one I want spawning. But maybe this little guy will be interesting enough to hang onto.
I’m still waiting to see what the yellowish ones will look like. I think maybe my two kohakus maybe the parents. If they are those 2-3 I think have a shot of looking decent. Most of the spawn are looking like half breed mutts with weird heads and fat tummy’s. Not really sure what to do.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Not sure how old your stock is but generations of inbreeding may be the issue. I know someone who started to get tail defects and short bodies because he never added or moved stock. Best is to get rid of babies and keep only one or two.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Not sure how old your stock is but generations of inbreeding may be the issue. I know someone who started to get tail defects and short bodies because he never added or moved stock. Best is to get rid of babies and keep only one or two.
They range. Most of my koi and the two ryukins are 3yrs old bought within a couple months of each other. 4 petsmart koi and 4 from a local breeder of imported koi that has since gone out of business.
The other 4 are imports that were bought last year along with my oranda and moor. So they aren’t all related, but there is a good possibility that a handful are. I am by no means trying to breed quality koi. My stock were all cheap. None over $40 and bought as babies.
This first batch will be mostly culls. Very few look like they will be anything good. I’m hoping the second batch will be better since I feel pretty confident I only pulled eggs that aren’t crossbred. And the koi eggs **should** only be ones fertilized by my kohaku male. And I kept mostly Goldie eggs. I’m more interested in those over the koi.

And of both batches I will only be keeping one, maybe two if there is a Goldie and a koi I can not part with. I need to be careful though because my pond is already full. It will need upgrading again since the koi have grown so much since moving them in here late last summer.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I pulled my red cap oranda out for a couple quick pictures. He has gotten so big!
D4E45D63-6B15-486E-9ADD-1B4DD31791FC.jpeg
8B6C0421-DC0A-4DEA-A758-D4D9CE7C8AC8.jpeg
E12A02D2-ECB6-43F3-9520-0C01B7DFC08F.jpeg

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store