Mesoheros Ornatum

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Definitely something that you need to try and breed so you can spread the love.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

When I first got mine, I googled the river they came from to check temps, and it seemed low to mid 70s was appropriate. I fed a high spirulina, low protein pellet, which seemed to bring out the bright colors. lept a group of 6 in 150 gal tank with a similar size group of Guianacara.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
Nice thanks duanes is there a pellet you would reccomend?I'm feeding them nls but weird thing I fed them a little bit this morning and they seemed to go down by the substrate and have stayed there for most of the day before they were very responsive following me in the fishroom even fed a little yesterday and nothing like this happened I got some info on the temp so I've be slowly lowering it wasn't expecting to bring them home so I had the tank set to a a higher temp but they were fine until they ate this morning sound normal to you?no breathing heavy or anything just slightly lethargic to much food maybe ? Thanks

image.jpeg

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I'm very jealous. Keep us posted.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Very pretty fish!
I've already heard that they can be really shy though.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
They are a skittish fish, they might be stressing. You have them at a nice size! Mine are 3 inch took me 7 months to get them this size from half inch!! Mine eat like pigs and are in a group of 8 with minimal aggression so far. They are remarkable new worlds! I think they like lots of company and hiding spots when smaller for sure!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used NLS Algamax, and when it was available, HTH Super Soft Spirulina (but I believe HTH has been discontinued.
When mine first came in, they were only about 1", took 2 years to get the largest male to about 7".
I added the shoal of Guinacara, because the ornatum were at the same time, skittish, yet very aggressive with each other, and adding the slightly larger Guinacara seemed to distract, and temper the aggression. I tried lemon tetras first, but they were not a sufficient distraction.
Being a riverine species, I was doing 30% water changes every other day.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store