Metal Monster 650 is it possible? in progress!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I've been meaning to re-read this thread and finally got around to it. Unfortunately it was pretty quick with my kids bouncing around. I do have a few questions and I apologize in advance if these were already covered earlier.

Did you weld this with MIG, flux core, AC stick, DC stick, or what? What welder did you use specifically?

Was the original plan to just have the tank lined with the 1/2" HDPE and then attach the window to that? But you wanted the liner for extra peace of mind?

How did you "heat weld" the HDPE? I assume you used some sort of plastic welder? Which one if so? Did you ever test that seal with even a shallow fill?

And do I understand you got all this steel for free? That's crazy. Steel is so expensive right now.

Tanks is great. Glad to hear you're running a de-humidifier.

-Tank was welded with Miller MIG's with tri-mix gas. Not sure on the specs of the ones i used in school but my personal welder i used to work on the tank a bit is a Lincoln Power Mig with tri-mix gas.

-The original plan was to use the Polypropelene as the liner, I was nervous of cracking a seam in the plastic welding. To my own surprise this heat welding method of plastic is very strong. I put the liner in for peace of mind and i'm glad i did just in case of a future seam pop. Pretty unlikely but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

-Heat welded the polypropelene with a heat gun style heat welder. It is a "Stienel 1024 E" model (ill post a pic). You use the same type plastic rod for your material and melt it on similiar to hot glue and welding metal combined. John Ptc made a white tank like this and thats where i got the idea. Factory made tanks are sold/made like this for water storage.

- All the steel was infact for free more or less. I was in my senior year of Columbus College of Art and Design and also worked in the Sculpture Department so I used the tank for a project in Metal Sculpture class and since i worked in the building where the class was held i had acess to everything at my disposal. Sure miss those days!!!!! Steel is through the roof now, It wasent so bad 4-5yrs. ago when i started this project. And i guess not really free i paid my tuition for it so i took everything i could get my hands on haha. I now operate my own buisness and pay full price just like everyone else lol. Steel is still my preferred material of choice :) Already welding up a new build.

-Also never test filled the poly alone. I did place my window and liner in the tank and test fill my steel structure and poly seams for pressure. I siliconed 3" seams on the poly before placing the liner down so there were not tight corners so it will probably hold water aswell underneath the liner.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wow that is one awesome basement/fishroom. What is the size of the large acrylic tank in this picture?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=854655&d=1354597886&thumb=1
Thats my 450 super refurbed :)

Houses 3 Alligator gar 20-22" and one 20" tropical gar

Picked this tank up for $400 with a hanous broken bottom and exploded back wall. I laid the piece of acrylic left over from my 650 build on the floor and reglued the entire tank. I also reinforced all the seams with 1" square stock acrylic. I had to ratchet strap the back wall in place to glue the tank back together "square". Its also been holding for 2 years.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

lifeoffaith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Grand Rapids MI area
Nice build!!! I'm thinking about seeing if my father in law can put together a steel frame for me and then I'd just line the back and sides with plywood and put a nice viewing window in the front. I'm thinking about going with Rubberize It though.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Finally got around to reading this thread. Looks like Seaworld down there. All the more impressive is that you did it yourself.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Finally got around to reading this thread. Looks like Seaworld down there. All the more impressive is that you did it yourself.
Thankyou my friend, much appreciated. I work more hours in my basement than i do at my job lol...and who said SeaWorld was closed in ohio :) it was the best place on earth, cant believe they shut it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store