Methylene Blue

RD.

Crazy Canuck
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
11,479
8,033
3,330
60
Northwest Canada
Honestly I think that if at all possible the best thing to do would be to have a vet that specializes in fish take a sample and get an accurate diagnosis as to exactly what the "black spot" is being caused from. From your most recent pics it looks a lot worse than it was several months ago.
 

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
May 16, 2011
4,167
3,180
164
the werid part is that I don't got any snail in my tank. so I don't know how can they reproduce or something. so if I treat the skin will that black spot heal up?[/QUOTE]
Hello; A possible answer is that the fish had the parasite before you got them. Are the fish new? That you do not have any snails should mean the parasite cannot continue it's life cycle in your setup.
I went back into the thread and do not find much information. Are the fish in an outdoor pond? What general part of the world are you in?

My take is the parasite matures in the fish and then makes it's way out leaving a hole. That hole can become infected? Read RD's post again as he suggests treatment.

The stage of the parasite that left the fish looks for a snail to inhabit, so no snails then my assumption is the parasite will eventually perish. My additional take is you should be careful with the equipment used around the infected fish.
I am making a big guessing here but it might be wise to somehow do something about the water from the frequent water changes (WC). Again it may depend on where you are. I may be overthinking this but if you do some frequent WC there may be some active parasites in the throw away water. If you live where the parasite is endemic then not necessarily a big deal. However if you got the fish imported to you and the parasite in not native then dumping the waste water directly into the environment might possibly open the opportunity for the parasite to become established locally.
I never studied this particular parasite but it's life cycle seems similar to one that infects people. Some parasites have a need for very specific hosts and so are not able to spread where these particular hosts do not exist.
 

Richard203

Exodon
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
407
17
23
30
Honestly I think that if at all possible the best thing to do would be to have a vet that specializes in fish take a sample and get an accurate diagnosis as to exactly what the "black spot" is being caused from. From your most recent pics it looks a lot worse than it was several months ago.
ya I don't know what happen just happened couple month ago just got more black spot when I stopped dosing meds.

um my tank is in door and I got the fish couple years ago. when it was small it wasn't taking any food stick or other fish food so I tried feeder guppy and mybe that's how it got the disease. the fish got black spot and sunken belly which I know it caused by parasite so I tried fish med to cure it. but seems like it isn't killing the parasite since it have black spot and sunken belly.
 

Richard203

Exodon
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
407
17
23
30
any 1 know the instruction for methylene blue? dose once or dose everyday?
 

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
May 16, 2011
4,167
3,180
164
any 1 know the instruction for methylene blue? dose once or dose everyday?
Prevention or treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans:
(a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
(b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
(c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment.
Hello; I am a bit confused as it seems you posted the answer yourself. Perhaps you question keeping the concentration. If you change out 10 gallons then when you add back 10 gallons you put back one teaspoon.
 

phreeflow

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
420
420
102
ca
Did you read the info RD. RD. gave you? Seems it’s not curable with meds based on the info. But I applaud you for trying so hard to save your fish.

If you’re dead set on methylene blue and are still wondering about the instructions, it sounds like you will be dosing everyday for 3-5 days then doing a water change.

That being said, it could also be melanoma, or skin cancer. Also, I saw the pics you posted and it’s odd how it’s back is misshapen. Again, good for you for trying but at this point, you might want to find a vet.
 

Richard203

Exodon
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
407
17
23
30
I don't know what happen to the back mybe it tried to jump and hit the glass lid and injured the back. for the methylene blue dosing every day wont the water be blue? I see people just dose once and wait 3 days. that's why im confused on the dosing part
 

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
May 16, 2011
4,167
3,180
164
I don't know what happen to the back mybe it tried to jump and hit the glass lid and injured the back. for the methylene blue dosing every day wont the water be blue? I see people just dose once and wait 3 days. that's why im confused on the dosing part
Hello; Yes the water will be blue. Some things will be stained blue forever. Get it on your fingers and they will be blue for days.

Hello; You get to choose about the dosing. If you do not do any WC then one dose will last a few days. What tends to happen is the water will be a darker blue at first and slowly fade a bit. Best to use the stuff in a clean bare tank. In a display tank any organic matter will take up the MB.
 

Richard203

Exodon
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
407
17
23
30
ya im planning to dose 1 time and wait 3 days and do a water change is that ok?
 
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store