Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Methylene Blue

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Richard203, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Richard203

Richard203 Exodon

Richard
      Yesterday at 11:39 PM
      do I dose 1 time and wait 3-5days or I dose every day for 3-5days? the instruction wasn't that clear on the dosing.

2. pops

pops Goliath Tigerfish

Greg
      Yesterday at 8:54 PM
      no ideal what you are treating, but MB is best used as a dip or bath. dose a bucket and treat the fish 3 times a day for 15 to 30 minutes, or can be used in a hospital tank, the water will need to be changed every day and re-dosed.

in lighter doses can be used in the main tank, but keep in mind its very broad spectrum and can kill or dmg your bio-filter sending you into a mini cycle.

skjl47, kno4te and tlindsey like this.
    3. Richard203

Richard203 Exodon

Richard
      im trying to dose it in my main tank ya I know it will have a mini cycle. im just confused about the instruction. when it say continue the treatment for 3-5 days do it mean keep dosing each day or wait 3-5 days then do water change?

Prevention or treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans:
      (a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
      (b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
      (c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment.

4. kno4te

kno4te Blue Tier VIP

Ron
      Today at 12:41 AM
      Better to use as a dip. Would suggest maybe giving some info on what’s happening with ur fish. I echo what @pops@pops is saying.

tlindsey likes this.
    5. Richard203

Richard203 Exodon

Richard
      my fish got some black spot.

6. skjl47

skjl47 Potamotrygon

Jeff
      Today at 12:55 AM
      Hello; A bit vague. To get the best answers you need to put some effort into telling us what is going on. Sounds as tho you are trying this medication without any clear understanding of what the disease may be.

7. duanes

duanes Gold Tier VIP

Duane
      Yesterday at 11:53 AM
      Dips work very well, if the parasite is visible, and has not replicated itself.
      Many protozoans are constantly dropping eggs, or larvae into the substrate, so although the dip may (or may not) kill what's immediately on the fish (some parasites are protected by the fishes slime coat), unless the entire tank is treated, in a short time the vector reappears.
      I agree with Jeff, you haven't given enough info to determine MB's use.
      What are you treating for?
      Is MB really effective against the problem?
      Simple bacteria or fungi?
      Some parasites are only killed using Chitin inhibitors.
      Some a simple salt treatment will do.
      Some may be flat worms, that unless you get the medication into the intestines, can be mostly useless.
      And if you don't know what it is you are treating, how can you be sure?
      MB is often suggested as a random cure all, but this may not always be the case.
      It is a toxin that in small doses will kill microscopic organisms, in larger doses stressful to fish, and can cause future chronic problems.

8. Richard203

Richard203 Exodon

Richard
      um i watched a youtube guy saying he used MB to cure his black spot. i asked a local fish store and he say its called a black fungus but i never heard of that and i only heard of black spot which is a parasite that borrow outside the fish skin that's make it the black spot.

9. RD.

RD. Crazy Canuck

Billy Jack
      Yesterday at 10:04 PM
      As I have already informed you previously, there is no treatment for black spot disease. Lots of dumb asses post things on youtube that are not factual.

Black spot disease is spread by birds, and carried by snails. In freshwater fish there is no real treatment, you have to simply wait it out & make sure that the cycle cannot repeat itself. (do not keep snails with infected fish)

Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology, that has been published approx 150 times in related papers/journals. His lab at NC State University specializes in the study of infectious diseases of finfish and shellfish. Here's what he has to say on this topic:

"According to Noga, if the fish has "black spot disease" there is no OTC treatment for the metacercaria (which are not in themselves lethal). They will simply "come out" of the cysts.

If there are no snails or copepods around, that is the end of the line. However, while the metacercaria are there, they can cause an immune reaction, which can be hard on the fish. If/when the metacercaria come out, they leave behind a hole that can get infected with bacteria and/or bleed. That is a danger to the fish. Salt in the water helps healing and increases production of the slime coat. Frequent water changes dilute out any possible infectious bacteria and supports the immune system. The key for fish survival (if they do not bleed to death from the holes) is a good immune system.

Black Spot is due to the metacercarian stage of a parasite with a complex life cycle called a "digenean" trematode . The "black spot" is caused by the metacercaria encysted under the skin which irritates the melanocytes of the fish tissue, causing the dark spot.

As long as it is under the skin, it is impervious from outside."

phreeflow likes this.
    10. Richard203

Richard203 Exodon

Richard
      the werid part is that I don't got any snail in my tank. so I don't know how can they reproduce or something. so if I treat the skin will that black spot heal up?