Methylene Blue

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
do I dose 1 time and wait 3-5days or I dose every day for 3-5days? the instruction wasn't that clear on the dosing.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no ideal what you are treating, but MB is best used as a dip or bath. dose a bucket and treat the fish 3 times a day for 15 to 30 minutes, or can be used in a hospital tank, the water will need to be changed every day and re-dosed.

in lighter doses can be used in the main tank, but keep in mind its very broad spectrum and can kill or dmg your bio-filter sending you into a mini cycle.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
im trying to dose it in my main tank ya I know it will have a mini cycle. im just confused about the instruction. when it say continue the treatment for 3-5 days do it mean keep dosing each day or wait 3-5 days then do water change?

Prevention or treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans:
(a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
(b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
(c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Better to use as a dip. Would suggest maybe giving some info on what’s happening with ur fish. I echo what pops pops is saying.

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
my fish got some black spot.
Hello; A bit vague. To get the best answers you need to put some effort into telling us what is going on. Sounds as tho you are trying this medication without any clear understanding of what the disease may be.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Dips work very well, if the parasite is visible, and has not replicated itself.
Many protozoans are constantly dropping eggs, or larvae into the substrate, so although the dip may (or may not) kill what's immediately on the fish (some parasites are protected by the fishes slime coat), unless the entire tank is treated, in a short time the vector reappears.
I agree with Jeff, you haven't given enough info to determine MB's use.
What are you treating for?
Is MB really effective against the problem?
Simple bacteria or fungi?
Some parasites are only killed using Chitin inhibitors.
Some a simple salt treatment will do.
Some may be flat worms, that unless you get the medication into the intestines, can be mostly useless.
And if you don't know what it is you are treating, how can you be sure?
MB is often suggested as a random cure all, but this may not always be the case.
It is a toxin that in small doses will kill microscopic organisms, in larger doses stressful to fish, and can cause future chronic problems.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
um i watched a youtube guy saying he used MB to cure his black spot. i asked a local fish store and he say its called a black fungus but i never heard of that and i only heard of black spot which is a parasite that borrow outside the fish skin that's make it the black spot.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As I have already informed you previously, there is no treatment for black spot disease. Lots of dumb asses post things on youtube that are not factual.

Black spot disease is spread by birds, and carried by snails. In freshwater fish there is no real treatment, you have to simply wait it out & make sure that the cycle cannot repeat itself. (do not keep snails with infected fish)

Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM, a highly respected professor of aquatic medicine and immunology, that has been published approx 150 times in related papers/journals. His lab at NC State University specializes in the study of infectious diseases of finfish and shellfish. Here's what he has to say on this topic:

"According to Noga, if the fish has "black spot disease" there is no OTC treatment for the metacercaria (which are not in themselves lethal). They will simply "come out" of the cysts.

If there are no snails or copepods around, that is the end of the line. However, while the metacercaria are there, they can cause an immune reaction, which can be hard on the fish. If/when the metacercaria come out, they leave behind a hole that can get infected with bacteria and/or bleed. That is a danger to the fish. Salt in the water helps healing and increases production of the slime coat. Frequent water changes dilute out any possible infectious bacteria and supports the immune system. The key for fish survival (if they do not bleed to death from the holes) is a good immune system.

Black Spot is due to the metacercarian stage of a parasite with a complex life cycle called a "digenean" trematode . The "black spot" is caused by the metacercaria encysted under the skin which irritates the melanocytes of the fish tissue, causing the dark spot.

As long as it is under the skin, it is impervious from outside."

Reactions: phreeflow

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
the werid part is that I don't got any snail in my tank. so I don't know how can they reproduce or something. so if I treat the skin will that black spot heal up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store