For Sale Metynnis sp. Onigiri Sao Benedito Group (3M/3F)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Price
Region
Southern California
State
California
Pickup or shipping
Shipping or Pickup
Clear sexual dimorphism allows certainty that this group is 3M 3F. Stunning red line runs through the belly of the males giving them their nickname "Red strike" silver dollars

Sizing 3-4 inches. Extremely good eaters and very healthy.

Sold as a group only $1000

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Beautiful fish! Good luck with sale.

In the interest of keeping the record straight (RE- names of silver dollars).

The specimen shown above is a male Metynnis anisurus Ahl, 1923.

There is currently no species of Metynnis (or of any genus of Serrasalminae), with the specific epiteth "Onigiri". I have seen that word before in relation to Metynnis, but it appears to be either a made-up name, or the name of a location (stream, village, etc., although I cannot find such place when serching). The only reference to the term "Onigiri" is in regards to a Japanese dish, specifically a type of rice balls. So no idea about the origin of the connection of that term, with South American fish (unless the Japanese refer to this fish species as Onigiri silver dollar, but the internet seems unaware of that).

Zarske & Gery (1999) synonymized M. anisurus Ahl with Metynnis lippincotianus (Cope 1870). Those two taxa are clearly not synonymys and accordingly, that synonymy has been rejected (Ota, 2015).
Zarske and Gery (2008) described Metynnis polystictus in 2008. That species is now considered a synonym of M. anisurus Ahl, and anisurus has precedence (Ota, 2015).

Since these fish are not seen in the hobby with any frequency, and are absolutely gorgeous (!!!!!), would you mind posting additional pictures of your fish for sale, hopefully showing both males and females? (Those I believe would be the only pictures of that species in this and in most forums!

Below, one of the only set of photos I have seen of this species (this posted by somebody by name Tomas Cavote in Oct2021 (found by search in Bing). Two males are shown.

Metynnis anisurus 'sp Onigiri' Thomas Cavote Oct2021 MALE GROUP.png

Below, a photo of a preserved paratype of M. polystictus (Z & G 2008), also a male, from the original description of this taxon (Specimen at the museum in Brussels). The red blotches on the ventral surface of the fish are seen in the correct position, but as white blotches, due to preservation.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 12.57.01 PM.png

Again, GLWSale! (I wish I could but unfortunately it is just too rich for me).

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 12.45.03 PM.png

Attachments

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Beautiful fish! Good luck with sale.

In the interest of keeping the record straight (RE- names of silver dollars).

The specimen shown above is a male Metynnis anisurus Ahl, 1923.

There is currently no species of Metynnis (or of any genus of Serrasalminae), with the specific epiteth "Onigiri". I have seen that word before in relation to Metynnis, but it appears to be either a made-up name, or the name of a location (stream, village, etc., although I cannot find such place when serching). The only reference to the term "Onigiri" is in regards to a Japanese dish, specifically a type of rice balls. So no idea about the origin of the connection of that term, with South American fish (unless the Japanese refer to this fish species as Onigiri silver dollar, but the internet seems unaware of that).

Zarske & Gery (1999) synonymized M. anisurus Ahl with Metynnis lippincotianus (Cope 1870). Those two taxa are clearly not synonymys and accordingly, that synonymy has been rejected (Ota, 2015).
Zarske and Gery (2008) described Metynnis polystictus in 2008. That species is now considered a synonym of M. anisurus Ahl, and anisurus has precedence (Ota, 2015).

Since these fish are not seen in the hobby with any frequency, and are absolutely gorgeous (!!!!!), would you mind posting additional pictures of your fish for sale, hopefully showing both males and females? (Those I believe would be the only pictures of that species in this and in most forums!

Below, one of the only set of photos I have seen of this species (this posted by somebody by name Tomas Cavote in Oct2021 (found by search in Bing). Two males are shown.

View attachment 1520131

Below, a photo of a preserved paratype of M. polystictus (Z & G 2008), also a male, from the original description of this taxon (Specimen at the museum in Brussels). The red blotches on the ventral surface of the fish are seen in the correct position, but as white blotches, due to preservation.
View attachment 1520133

Again, GLWSale! (I wish I could but unfortunately it is just too rich for me).

View attachment 1520132
Most enlightening response to any sale threads that I've ever read. Thank you for time and effort. Helps us all as a community.

Will happily snap some better photos

I have seen Thomas' group from before which is why I was inspired to get a group myself.

These are from Wes in case provenance is questioned

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you so much, aquaticeye aquaticeye !

Those are absolutely beautiful fish! One male in particular (third photo, foreground) is particularly colorful, showing red on several fins, including dorsal, caudal and adipose. Another male in the fourth picture looks darker, much akin the coloration of the paratype of M. anisurus.
It seems they are all still developing (adult but somewhat young) and possibly changing by the day and as mood changes. They look super healthy and happy.
Considering their life span is several decades, somebody is going to be very fortunately to get some awesome fish. You are very lucky for sure with that large group!
Thanks again.

Reactions: aquaticeye
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store