MFK GARMY - Report Thyne Gar

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
xander;4289529; said:
dont know how many times i've tried starting these kind of threads. nvm, i'll chip in this one too!

here's the link to the old one. maybe we can get some stuff frm there over here too. it's interesting to see how much the tanks have changed since then.

Tank
-5x3x2 (lxwxh)-filtered by an eheim 2260. contains 10l biomedia, 5l mechmedia & a micron 200.
-water change is 25-50% weekly, depending on how much i feel is necessary.
-pH is stable at 7.5
-temp is at 27-28degC
-*i use crushed coral sand as substrate to mantain the stable pH that the cubans need.
-** i keep my tank decor to a minimum and at the lower levels of the tank to allow my gars maximum swimming area. as they are quite large i don't feel such a great need for cover. however, with younger specimens adequate cover is advisable for them to feel secure...and avoid back breaking incidences..

Fish
- are fed a handful of hikiri sticks daily. once a week they get a half kg of shrimp. from time to time they get feeders.
-* I included the length of time that the fish were kept for and reason(if applicable) any fish was removed from the tank. reason being that a lot of people will look at a combo/pic, see a gar with a pleco/oscar/crocodile & go "hey, he can do it...so can i!"...without realising that these combos often result in injury/fatality sooner or later.

Gar
- 3x 23-25" Cuban gar (2 of which are some of the original fishes from when i started this tank)
- 25" longnose gar (been living peacfully in this tank for about 4 months)
- 2x 12-21" florida gar (have been successfully living in the tank for 4 months and 1 month respectively)

tankmates

- 2x 11-14" poly lapradei (one of which was introduced to the tank at the same time as the 2 cubans above)
- 7" poly endlicheri (been in the tank for 2 days)
- 7" channa pleurothalma (been living in the tank for roughly 3 months)

past tankmates (advisable)
- various species of gars from 10" - 18" (had many of them for varying periods of time. i had no issues with any of them)
- a number of african arowana ranging in size from 10" to 18" (kept these fish with the gars for 3-6months. aside from some of the smaller specimens getting shredded, no accidents to cause any real worry)
- a number of polypterus species, varying from 10" to 18". (Never had any issues)

past tankmates (dubious - poor)
- 12" barramundi (dubious, kept for less than 3months, repeatedly stole food out of gars mouths, causing them to dart off)
- 12" oscar (outright bad idea,kept for 1 day, outright aggression displayed to my cubans)
- 12-15" orino bass (dubious, kept for less than 5 months, sudden dashes causing gars to follow suit, boisterous feedings occasionally caused gars to dart off)
- 15" goliath atf (poor, constant spazzing caused the gars to follow suit)

future plans & planned tankmates
-i have a 6x3x2.5 planned for them in the near future...and am going to throw in a long list of dubious tankmates that i will likely be unmercilessly desecrated for...:nutkick::footinmou

the tank 6 months ago...looks pretty much the same..but with more gar. will add a more recent pic soon

sorry to derail the thread, but whats that fat gar in the bottom right:drool:

Giruvin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
Bangkok
i'm suddenly feeling slightly inadequate .

I only have 1, but he is my pride and joy.

Ali - Spotted Gar
he is 18", lives in a 72x24x24" tank with a Fire Eel 20", a Stonefish 10" and a Striped Bass 4". I feed all my fish live food (ghost shrimp and small fish.

He seems really happy and looks fantastically healthy. (wont post a pic here)

I'm very envious of you guys, but its ok, I'm working my way up slowly.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Madding: You bought snooks golden gar? :eek: I can't wait till that thing gets huge!!!

I have 2 FL gars about 20" living in a 250gal

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
gazelle;4294738; said:
sorry to derail the thread, but whats that fat gar in the bottom right:drool:
That's one of Alex's prized Cubans.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
bahamaqt00;4294780; said:
Madding: You bought snooks golden gar? :eek: I can't wait till that thing gets huge!!!

I have 2 FL gars about 20" living in a 250gal
Yeah I did. Keep your eye out for photo updates next week.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Gar Totals:

Pejelajarto: 83 (35 @ home, 48 @ labs)
e_americanus: 63 (15 @ home, 48 @ labs)
RedDwarf: 14
xander: 7
Connor: 6
Madding: 5 (+2 incoming)
screaminleeman: 5
Lepistoseus platyrhincus: 4
jsodwi: 4
UncleClyde: 4
Wiggles92: 3
LBathory: 2 (for sale!)
bahamaqt00: 2
sbuse: 1
iloveoscars702: 1
Giruvin: 1

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
@madding, no diamond for me. schnieders first then cuviers:headbang2

sbuse;4290769; said:
i geuss maybe i am...she did say yes when i told her i am selling my pbass for more gar:headbang2..she actually misunder stood me and freaked out cause she thought i was selling my florida gar for more bass...:WHOA:...she said it was the uglest thing around when i got it and now she wants more and almost cried when it jumped out before...:headbang2...aside from the no camain the only complaint i have is that when the rollercoaster is broke she shuts down the whole amusment park...i say what the hell does the rollercoaster being out have to do with the water slide?:naughty:
smart man selling the pbass! GAR POWER!!
my wife loves the caiman idea, cant wait untill i get mine and the amusement park is never closed :naughty::headbang2

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4295264; said:
@madding, no diamond for me. schnieders first then cuviers:headbang2

smart man selling the pbass! GAR POWER!!
my wife loves the caiman idea, cant wait untill i get mine and the amusement park is never closed :naughty::headbang2
you lucky son-of-a-b^tch...:grinno:

i want to get atleast 10 more gar...to start...then when i get my ponds done i will be tring to breed some local wc shorties and longnoses...i have been talking to my states dnr about what permits i would need to catch, sell and propagate gar and other gamefish from my state...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
10 more sweet!!

as soon as the caiman enclosure is done. gar pond starts!! probly gonna aim for 4 or 5 more then

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4295294; said:
10 more sweet!!

as soon as the caiman enclosure is done. gar pond starts!! probly gonna aim for 4 or 5 more then
ya i have been looking at TFD's stock...not the best sorce, but they are cheap and everything i have gotten from them except rays has been in great shape...i have a bill to work with so i can get a few...right now they have longnose, shorts, and floridas...i know they are not the best at the id's, but aslong as they don't try and give me a characin or needle nose i'll be fine with what i get...their stock pics look like the matching named gars so maybe they have gotten better at the ids on them...at some point when i get some ponds going i will get some gators aswell, but not till the pond is in place...i think they move enough gartors that they wont mistakenly give me one, though i did get a scomb as a rahp...if i get an accedental gator i'll be getting a pond sooner then the wife thinks:naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store