might be turning my 120 into a 320, !MAGIC!

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
ok well i have a 120 sitting around, i thought it was a 150(what i was told) and its abit under 120... and i was going to put it upstairs in my room and put an arow and oscars but... i might just take it apart and add another fixture to my basement, im planning to use the glass pannels as the viewing panes, the back will be a sheetrock with a ruberized membrain with a concreet 3d background, i unputed me basement into SketchUp!, and mesured it all up. the total gallonage will be about 320gallons and the total lendth of the tank will be about 12' long and about 20-24"wide, i mesured it at 20, but since its a plywood tank i might just make it 24"wide and abit deaper, so it might end up at 400 gallons, but at a minimum it will be atleast 300gallons.

now, this might be my breakthrough into SW..., or i could also convert my 90 into a plywood(the cavity would provide a 120gallon) make that a sw and the 60 tank into the sump, and the ~300 for the cichlids, ive wanted to give mt milawies more space and get some nicer oner like JD's GT's RD's...

but a 12' long tank would be a arows dream and a 24"wide would be good for rays....

what do you guys think?

View attachment 80644

View attachment 80642

BASEMENT1_1024x538.jpg

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
Oh crap... i can make it bigger... i forgot about the bottome pane of glass..., this just uses the front back left and right, there is also a bottom...,hmmmmm...500+gallon?

oh and yes i segmented the wedge part og the tank too, i didnt just guess... thease are proper calculations here no F.k'n around...lol

MrRngr94

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Central FL
That would look sweet! And it's putting that glass to good use. My only question would be how thick is the glass? Can it handle the pressure of ~400 gallons?

I'd have the bottom piece cut into sections and used as bracings on the top of the tank.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
its the hight of the glass that counts and its 1/2", the tank is a marine-land, its made to be 24" tall doesn't matter if i got 50billion gallons deep in width, its still only 24" tall, and you might be onto something with the bracing but i was going to use aluminum for that..., i have a tonn of it at work and its not like where going to use it there . lol...

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
Ranchu85;778771; said:
wow keep us posted, how much is all this gonna cost you?

well i got the tank from my big als for $40-$50, used but it was un decorated and held rays(not one scratch on it), so about $100-$200 in wood and suplies like waterproofing stuff. and maybe $200 in lights... but thats just a guess? realisticly about $500-$6 but it could be as low as $300...

not realy the money thats important i can just work some OT. its the tank and the fish, im a psycho hobyist, remember.

OH and the filters... $200 for two rena XP3's, i love those things. Im not going to build a sump, too complicated and messy...

Bucko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
S.E. Michigan
portabuddy;778714; said:
its the hight of the glass that counts and its 1/2", the tank is a marine-land, its made to be 24" tall doesn't matter if i got 50billion gallons deep in width, its still only 24" tall, and you might be onto something with the bracing but i was going to use aluminum for that..., i have a tonn of it at work and its not like where going to use it there . lol...

But if ya make it too big ya have to worry about the tides....:ROFL:

LondonDragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
London, England
WOW looking impressive, nice SketchUp skills ;)
I also hope you build this monster, i will keep an eye on this for ideas on how to build mine, its going to be smaller but similar shape :)

So it all goes wrong I will have someone to blame hehehe :p

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
man i love sketchup just as much as ketchup

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store