Minimum tank size for an Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
"Overly cautious"? There's nothing overly cautious about that.
I suppose a 75 a good bare minimum but I don't think a 90 gallon is any better. The issue isn't volume imo. The issue is swimming space. I have an 11" red devil/Midas that I thought would do well long term in a 75. Next tank I buy I will a 125 for him because the tank really is cramped with just him. He is 25% the length of the tank and I can't really add too much driftwood because it gives him no swimming space.
In conclusion, I would suggest a 6' tank. Is that a lot for one fish? Maybe. But I think the fish living his days out in a glass box deserves it.
When I said those measurements I meant minimum. I wasn't saying ideal. Ideally, we would all have huge tanks for our fish. But minimums are different.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
So if you like the 75 we all agree on, what do you think/what are they saying on your other forum?
That I'm inhumane for thinking an Oscar is fine in a 75 for life.

Since he said they were into light stocking I'm guessing they're saying 125 in the minimum.
I wish. 180 minimum. An 18 inch tank is not big enough for a fully grown oscar to turn around. They think they grow to 18"
ya that's a waste of a good 125
Agree
IMO I like a 90 for one, a 75 bare min for an adult. What did the other site say?
It got quite amusing and a mod finally closed it. But that I was crazy and it's cruel to keep an Oscar in a 75.

THANKS GUYS!!! Keep em coming!!!!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
You asked minimum size and IMO the minimum size is 75. The reason I say I like 90 is 15 more gallons of water. Ideally I like to see an adult Oscar kept in a 125 but that's not really always practical. It is more difficult to keep water quality up in a smaller tank. So more maintenance is required. Oscars are prone to Hex in less than ideal water, that means nitrate levels must be kept below 20 ppm and ideally below 10 ppm. Larger tanks are more stable and parameters will fluctuate less. The old saying goes we keep water not fish is especially true with Oscars. If you keep the water clean the space is less of an issue. However bigger is always better but if you put in the time and keep the water quality up a 75 will work, It's not ideal but it is the minimum size you can get away with.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
ya that's a waste of a good 125
providing a large tank for large fish is a waste? arent you the guy that uses goldfish to determine the sex of his fish?

When I said those measurements I meant minimum. I wasn't saying ideal. Ideally, we would all have huge tanks for our fish. But minimums are different.
i agree on the minimum thing. for a certain time period though. a buddy of mine has a massive oscar that would just dwarf a 4' tank. granted the fish is 4-5 years old now but he put him into a 125 and still looks like a big fish haha

i stand by my statement that an oscar or any large-ish/medium size cichlid should be kept in a 6' tank. whether alone or with tank mates. a 4' tank is just too short for a fish like that to live out its days.

Cichlids_Are_Life

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
providing a large tank for large fish is a waste? arent you the guy that uses goldfish to determine the sex of his fish?

i agree on the minimum thing. for a certain time period though. a buddy of mine has a massive oscar that would just dwarf a 4' tank. granted the fish is 4-5 years old now but he put him into a 125 and still looks like a big fish haha

i stand by my statement that an oscar or any large-ish/medium size cichlid should be kept in a 6' tank. whether alone or with tank mates. a 4' tank is just too short for a fish like that to live out its days.
I just wanted to say I don't like the way you disrespect other hobbyists. Your just being a douche not being constructive for the hobby

Reactions: fishbum

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
While it may have been over the line, your comment about it being a waste was presumptuous as well... *steals some popcorn*

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
says the guy that uses goldfish as punching bags.
by saying that a large tank with a single large fish is a waste is not contributing anything. sorry that i think an animal that would live its live in the amazon deserves more than a 48x18 inch box. have you ever owned a fish thats over 10"? a 4' tank is a puddle.
imo being constructive for the hobby is getting rid of "minimums", doing some proper research and providing these large fish appropriate homes.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
youre right my comment was disrespectful. im honestly annoyed by you and i shouldve left the goldfish comment out of the topic. but i said it.
but by you saying that providing an oscar with a large tank is a waste is mind set that i find pretty annoying. no large volume of water that can be provided for any fish that we keep is a waste. oscar or tetra.
but on topic, long term.. i think an oscar should be kept in a 6' tank.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Guys I'm close to issuing warnings and or infractions. Discuss the topic without any personal digs. If it continues don't say I didn't give fair warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store