Minimum tank size for an Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cichlids_Are_Life

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
youre right my comment was disrespectful. im honestly annoyed by you and i shouldve left the goldfish comment out of the topic. but i said it.
but by you saying that providing an oscar with a large tank is a waste is mind set that i find pretty annoying. no large volume of water that can be provided for any fish that we keep is a waste. oscar or tetra.
but on topic, long term.. i think an oscar should be kept in a 6' tank.
Im not saying that its a waste im just saying that there are other things better than an Oscar you can put in a 125 in my opinion. I do like how involved you are with the forums so I respect you as a hobbyist and hope no more arguments between us wont happen again. Good luck to you and your fish

Reactions: Tifftastic

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
In conclusion I think we can agree the bare minimum is 75 while the preferable minimum is 125.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
IMO minimum tank size threads are always going to get . . . angry? Insulting? Whatever you want to call it. The main thing to think about is that it's "minimum" requirement that was discussed. Ideally, in my mind, a 125 or 180 would be preferred, but a 75 is minimum. Having worked in a shop for 6+ years its better than the 29 gallons people wanted to keep them in. . .

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ideally ehh, I agree. only reason I got the 180 for the Oacar to move from the 90g some years back because it seemed to small, she seemed cramped. this does not mean that adding some other fish if added prudently is a bad ideal.

but again, question was what is a minimal tank size for an oscar, IMHO a 75, just the oscar. if water changes and filtration are kept properly, this is a bare min and oscar can live a happy life IMHO.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ehh you where there before I got permed band from OFL when I got this pig of a 180 in, setup and moved Oacar who was named Oscar into it.

you know why I got the tank.. : ) so I can not disagree. but this was not the question. as I think I have stated i do not know how many times now.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
you guys are right. a 75 will work. its 18' wide and if you keep up with water changes then youll avoid hith.

aquanero really hit the nail on the head when he spoke about water quality. from experience, keeping nitrates low in a 125 with an oscar and a blood parrot is work.

every day i regret not setting up a 125 initially for my amph. not because i have to do 50% water changes weekly but because he really fills that tank out.

you know pops, i dont know why you were banned. you told me that "someone" was donkey(not the term you used haha) and we never spoke about it again lol

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just to ehh,s point, I just took this vid of my 2 juvies in the 180. 11" and 7" about 5 months old . I personally can not see them in anything less than a 6ft tank. and preferably a tall tank. no worries for the lutino she going to her own 90 this weekend or the next.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Thanks guys! I thought it would be interesting to post this here. Great answers.

Now if I could get over this compulsion of having to prove I'm right about things......

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
remember wild fire? enough said there.

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I personally wouldn't keep an Oscar in a 75 permanently. But this is coming from someone who keeps 5 in a 8x5 pond. The difference in temperament and overall health/development is huge when they are given ample space (and obviously water quality and food plays its part).

So to answer the question, I'd say a 6'x18"x18". However I wouldn't keep one in less than a 6'x2'x2' for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store