Missing Black Ghost Knife fish?

sericinda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
North Dakota
sunkistbubbles.blogspot.com
Yesterday afternoon I bought a small (3") black ghost knife fish and put it in my 120gallon tank. Tankmates are a large very docile pleco (had been with neons and guppies before and not bothered a thing), some medium sized parrot cichlids, 2 weather loaches (which do just fine in the warmer temps) and a bunch of cory catfish.

I left to go for dinner and hang out with a friend for about 4 hours. When I got home, the knifefish was gone. There is NO sign of him. No carcass. No dead body on the floor (which isn't really possible anyhow as the tank is tightly covered). I have moved everything in the tank and there is no sign of the bugger. My filter intakes are all covered. I checked the canister anyhow...no dice.

I have very fine gravel/sand subtrate....I've moved a lot of it around looking for him, but I didn't go over every inch of the substrate (did piss off my burrow-loving weather loaches though...). Are knifefish known to burrow their entire bodies under substrate?? You would think I would be able to see some sign of a pitch black fish under crystal substrate but apparently not. I got under the cabinet to look for signs of him...nothing there either but the substrate bed is a few inches deep.

Where the heck could he have gone? Could parrot cichlids, who never bother nor pay any attention to my loaches, polish off a knifefish with no sign whatsoever in a few hours?

Or is it possible the dummy is hiding in the sand bed somewhere....I fed bloodworms today to try to draw him out to no avail.

It's, needless to say, driving me bonkers.

killarbb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
iowa
mine hides, but will come out for freeze dried krill. never have i seen any of my 3 bury into the sand

Rescue1EMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
Hudson NC
I asked my uncle (he also has a Black Ghost Knife fish) and the same thing happened to him when he first got his. Apperently they like to hide (a lot) and his didnt appear until 2 days later.

sericinda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
North Dakota
sunkistbubbles.blogspot.com
ALLENIRIVERA;4058064; said:
Try dropping in a PVC pipe to his fitting and see if he takes refuge in there, maybe he still is tank shy.
I have a hurricane lamp chimney in there for him but so far have not seen him in there. There ARE lots of hiding spots....a "bridge", 2 cichlid stones, a piece of fake driftwood and a few plants....I moved every single one of them and looked inside, under, around...etc. No sign.

I probably shouldn't have but I was so obsessed with finding him and the tank needed cleaning anyhow :naughty:

Here's hoping he shows up or I will wonder for the rest of my dang life.

ALLENIRIVERA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2010
Fresno,CA
Just try a simple PVC and if it works I'll feel helpful. BGK have to be my alltime favorite fish, to bad I haven't owned one, but I study them like everyday like I had an obsession or something with them.

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
My lil Ghost knife like to hide in side my hollow deco rock. he gets in from the bottom. I did not see him for the first week or so he was in there. that is normal. Now I can lure him out with some frozen blood worms. If you have hollow deco drain them out an check. good luck bro

MeiTnerium109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
USA
I had a young peacock eel that disappeared in a similar fashion. Never did see him again.

Then again, eels are very slender, and he was probably snarfed up by something else. I can't imagine anything eating a BGK. Wait and it'll come back... unless you want to go digging in the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store